Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
wandaweberg
Ribbing the Cuff

Help identifying yarn/ribbon needed
Help - Scarf I saw “somewhere.”

I am trying to locate a picture and/or can someone please identify for me the name of this type of scarf. What I’m trying to do is determine what type of yarn/ribbon to purchase.

From memory - let’s see - if this can help you help me find it.

The scarf casts on a few rows of garter stitches. THEN knit a stitch and then add on 3 more (can’t think of proper term - not knit but wrapped around). Then on the next row the first stitch is knit and the last two wraps are pulled down - makes for a long ribbon type effect.

Can anyone help me? I know I’m not very clear with my description.
wandaweberg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

how about this? scroll down a bit and loook for elongated stitch.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Do you mean a dropped stitch? I mean the ones done on purpose, not the ones that happen on accident!

Something like this or this or this or this? If so, these are all drop stitch knitted items. You can use any type of yarn, not just ribbon yarn...I just made myself a dropped stitch shawl with bulky boucle yarn.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

In the pattern section there's a thread for a scarf done in the elongated stitch HERE

Several people have posted pictures of their finished ones in that thread - is that what you're talking about?
Places like Joann's and Michaels tend to have a nice selection of the different types of novelty yarns used for that kind of scarf.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
wandaweberg
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks SO MUCH everyone. Loved having the links to the pictures and the threads. These photos are all different than the first one I saw - which was working with a ribbon type “yarn.” These, however, have opened up my eyes to all kinds of possibilities!!

Now I have a name for it - elongated stitch (or also one I like the “intentional dropped stitch)!

I am SO excited!!

Wanda be
P.S. Maybe I’ll even be able to show my Mom something new with this stitch (and she’s been knitting for close to 50 years)!!

Edited to add: And thanks for being able to decipher my very obscure description!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
is it the one where you actually tug the extra stitches out at the end to make a fringe? if it is, it's in the plymouth ribbon eros extreme... this is kinda sorta like the one i'm thinking off, but it's not quite as boa-ish... it's a free pattern with purchase one and it was the first 3 and last 3 stitches you did something with... i can find it if you think it might be it.

ETA: here is a dropped stitch ribbon one, still not the one i'm talking about though. ;-)

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
wandaweberg
Ribbing the Cuff

Cookworm’s links are what I was looking for. And the others are all great too! Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it!