Old 01-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Aquaria
Knitting the Flap

What's your knitting story?
I just remembered the first time I learned to knit and I actually laughed at it. So I decided to share and maybe hear about some of you guys' knitting experiences when u first learn to knit Let's have some fun! So, here goes my story.

My mom bought me some yarns from a second hand store someday last year. I asked for yarns just because I was trying to make a mixed-media artwork. But somehow I got curious about how to knit and found a knitting video on the net. I didn't have knitting needles, so guess what, I used two pencil crayons instead I still remember how I was struggling to slip the stitches on the pencil crayons, and how long it took for me to make every single stitches with those thick crayons And the fabric turned out horrible lol, it had huge loops of uneven stitches and was partially coloured by the crayons Yet I became very addicted in knitting and my mom decided to buy me some knitting needles. Even later on, I did a lot of things like this , but I enjoyed knitting.

That was long lol, so what's your story?
Michael Dulin
http://www.michaeldulin.com/
Steven Cravis
http://music.download.com/stevencrav...g=MDL_quickurl
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Well, I started knitting, because I love really long scarves. They were for sale all over the netherlands, but all in wool or wool-blends. I really really really wanted a long scarf, so I decided that if I wanted one, I should knit it myself. On a craft-fair, I bought some thick cotton and knitted a long scarf. I loved the scarf and loved the knitting. Although I loved it, I didn't knit for 2 years after that. Then I decided it was time for a new scarf and bought acrylic on the same craft-fair. After I bought the acrylic, I found some really awsome stand with a nice way to knit a scarf. They used 8 strands of different colors of really thin acrylic at the same time. I loved how it looked, and decided I wanted THAT scarf. So there I was, with 10 skeins of acrylic I wasn't going to use for a scarf. That's when I decided I'd love a sweater in those colors as well, so after I finished the scarf, I knitted a sweater for myself. It took really long, but after that, I was really addicted to knitting and I haven't stopped ever since.

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

The summer after I graduated from college, I had a hard time finding a job. I was rather depressed, so I decided to take up a hobby to make myself feel better. Knitting sounded like a good idea, so I went to the library, picked up a book, bought a skein of Red Heart Super Saver (country blue), a size H (I think) crochet hook, and a set of size 8 straight needles. I picked up crochet faster, but I like knitting better!

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
bip
Turning the Heel

When I was about 2 years old, my mom got out of the shower to find that I had wound her yarn around every doorknob, chair, lamp and end table in the house. From then on, I always loved string and knots.

I resisted learning to knit for all the standard reasons. I'm too young, I don't have time for another hobby, I'm a professional woman with a master's degree and I don't do mindless, domestic tasks. The usual stereotypes.

About three years ago, my dad donated DH a kidney and when my parents came out for the surgery, my mom made me learn. What could I say? Thanks for the kidney, but there's no way I'm letting you teach me to knit. So I caved. It was honestly the least I could do. She even showed me the SNB books to "prove" that cool, young people knit too. Sure mom, whatever! I wasn't buying it.

As you might imagine, the joke was on me. I haven't put my needles down in three years. Now, when my mom has a knitting question, she calls me. Now I pity people who don't knit instead of people who do And to people who think they are too hip, too young, too "busy" to knit? Fine, more yarn for me!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Last summer, after finishing a very detailed cross-stitch that I had worked on for about three years, I went to HL to select a frame for my completed project. I wanted to try something different -- something practical. I took a peek at the knitting section of the store, bought my first needles, yarn, and how-to book. I finished the first pattern (dish cloth) that night and was hooked (wrong "hobby", I know... )

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
of troy
Turning the Heel

i have been knitting more than 45 years, (since the age of 8 or so)

my mother knit, but she wasn't a good teacher, and i basiclly taught myself by watching her.. (the result is i knit almost completely opposite her!) she knit english lever style, i knit combo.

by age 9, i was teaching myself fair isle (in the round) i wasn't all that good, but i got better.

i never gave up knitting (i just posted on my blog today about knitting needles, some of mine are rather old-- (still in original packages, with prices like 60 cents, or $1.25 for a circular needle)--but there have been years when i have knit very little..

Lately, i have been knitting a lot!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Aquaria
Knitting the Flap

Wow, these are great stories! Seems like knitting has this sort of magic that can automatically make a person who's not interested in knitting become absolutely addicted to knitting
Michael Dulin
http://www.michaeldulin.com/
Steven Cravis
http://music.download.com/stevencrav...g=MDL_quickurl
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
bip
Turning the Heel

Funny you should say magic. I taught a friend of mine to knit about a year ago. She has a Phd and is a cancer biologist. Recently she declared to me that as much as she knits, it is still like magic to her. How does pulling that loop through another loop make socks? Cables? Sweaters? I love it, here is a person who spends her life figuring out how cancer cells work, and she can understand the most complicated biological processes and discover things about them that we didn't know before. But knitting has her awestruck.

I think she likes it that way, because if anyone is able to understand knitting mechanically and scientifically, its her. But who really wants to lift up that curtain? To kill the golden goose? Not us, we just want our needles to work their magic! I'm gonna cast those two socks on one needle, follow those directions and viola! Two socks emerge.

They say kowledge is power, but I think we all need a little magic in our lives. That's power, right?
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I've told my story a million times, but I love to repeat it. My dog was born on January 23, 2003 and it was going to be six weeks until I could bring her home. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. So I taught myself to knit, in order to keep me busy and preoccupied. I knitted her blankets and sweaters. Then my sister's step mom saw the sweaters and asked me to make some for her to sell in her shop, so I did. I have since branched out to things other than for my dog. I am a true addict! Now I have to post a picture of my baby in one of her sweaters....
Attached Images:

CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Jessica Cobb
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Jessica Cobb
About a year ago a friend of mine started to knit because she wanted to make a scarf for her Mother on Christmas. I was interested in knitting, but never took the time to learn. I always said "ohh I'm too busy, I won't have time." So long story short, here we are a year later and I had a sudden urge to start knitting. I bought some yarn, a few pairs of different sized needles, and some other little things necessary in completing a project and I taught my self to knit along with the help of Amy's video on this site! Now my friend is busy planning a wedding, and I am the one knitting! I'm addicted!

Jessica Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote