Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to lcbaer
Button Hole
I'm working on a sweater that has two button holes in the placket/collar. The instructions for making them is just a yo, k2tog leaving a hole for the button. This disappointed me as i was hoping to use nice big buttons for this sweater... adding my own personal touch. I've made button holes before using the bind off/cable cast on meathod before but only in st st. The pattern i'm knitting in is 1x1 rib. Do i need to do something different to get the button holes i want? or should i just leave it a lone and live with tiny tiny buttons.... ?

Thanks!!!
BodyaTwnty (07-22-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

If it were me I would do it and just see how it looks, I prefer big buttons too, and remember, the button sits over the buttonhole, so you won't see it Often

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! i'll try to do it as if it were st st and work the pattern back in.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
of troy
Turning the Heel

try the 3 row button hole.. its similar but makes a bigger hole
--either side of buttonhole, work in established pattern --and for the rows before and after the YO, do the same.--

r1- (at the position for buttonhole) make a double YO (2 yarn wraps round needle), and K2tog

r2- knit (or purl) into 1 yarn over, let other YO drop (it looks a mess, but don't worry!) (finish row in pattern)

R3- when you reach the "YO' from previous row, KNIT INTO BUTTONHOLE, not stitch, (and let the stitch drop off needle as if you had knit into it)

it still looks a bit messy, but trust me, its ok.

(R4--work row in pattern (garter, ribbing, what ever) look at buttonhole again.. Amazing! no longer a mess, but a nice neat buttonhole, not a big one, but twice the size of a Yo/k2tog style one! and not really much harder!

for other great buttonholes check out Lucy Neatby's web page, trade winds, and find the bosun's chest--free tutorials and ideas there, including some of the best knit buttonholes i have ever seen!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I just did cardi with large buttons (1 1/8"...pattern looked to call for smaller but I wanted bigger) and did bo/co buttonholes over rib. I did practice swatches beforehand to test for hole size, snugness. Read somewhere to run bh from P to P leaving K sts more defined and bh less obvious. Turned out great.

cam
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

This worked!! Thanks so much. I acutally think i did it kind of wrong but it still gave me a bigger button hole than the instructions call for and it worked nicely into the 1x1 rib.