Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
maxmom
Ribbing the Cuff

Another top down raglan question
I'm using the Incredible Top Down Pattern and I'm making a vneck. It says to increase until I have added the number of stitches I should have for each front side. Then it says to follow the pattern for a regular neck. But that says to add the number of front stitches you should have. I need to add 18 stitches. Do I cast on 18 at the join or do I add 18 spread evenly across the front?
maxmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
Maybe they're talking about the raglan increases?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Here's the pattern for anyone who's interested.

All she is saying is that the total number of increase stitches you add for a v-neck is the same as it would be if you were doing a round neck -- in your case, the number is 18. If you were doing a round neck, you would have added 4 or 5 stitches on each side of the neck (18 times 0.25 to make what she calls the right front stitches and left front stitches), and then cast on the remaining 8 or 10 stitches in the middle (center front stitches). Since you're doing a V-neck, you will be increasing 9 stitches on each side of the neck every 4-6 rows instead of every other row (this makes the angle of the neck edge steeper), and join to start working in the round at the point of the V -- you won't have any center front stitches to cast on at all since you don't want the neck to be rounded. Make sense?

If you happen to have Vogue Ultimate Knitting, a better explanation of the same basic pattern is in there. I've seen it in other books too, but lots of folks seem to have that one.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
maxmom
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks
maxmom is offline   Reply With Quote