Old 01-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

OT. So I went to the eye doctor yesterday
and as I suspected I am getting glasses because I am nearsighted my question is and I suppose I should have asked the doctor Can I wear my glasses while I knit or will that bother my eyes because it is up close??
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I am very badly nearsighted with a dose of astigmatism, which requires glasses/contacts at all times, including when I'm knitting or reading. It hasn't caused me any problems. In fact, reading without help makes my head ache.

However, I'm not sure if your case would be different, since your eyes are probably far better than mine. I don't think I had problems when I first started wearing glasses either, though.
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I am very badly nearsighted with a dose of astigmatism, which requires glasses/contacts at all times, including when I'm knitting or reading. It hasn't caused me any problems. In fact, reading without help makes my head ache.

However, I'm not sure if your case would be different, since your eyes are probably far better than mine. I don't think I had problems when I first started wearing glasses either, though.
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
efsaturn
Ribbing the Cuff

Nearsighted means you can see close, so I don't think you would need the glasses for knitting.
efsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

I wear glasses for driving, I also wear them when I'm out and about (help see signs, scenery etc.) and when I watch TV.

When I watch TV I often knit, I have somewhat narrow frames so I tend to look under the lenses to knit and then look up and through them to watch TV... it took a little getting used to, but works for me now.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

I've been horribly nearsighted - as in legally blind without glasses/contacts - since second grade. There's no way I could see to knit without glasses or contacts unless I held my work up so close that I would be poking myself in the eyes with the needles. That said, there are some myopic (nearsighted) people who only need glasses for faraway things. Just try them once you get the glasses. Wearing them if you don't need them won't make your eyes go bad, but not wearing them if you do need them can give you a headache.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

What a coincidence -- I just went to the eye doctor today! I'm near-sighted too, plus I've got some astigmatism.

I think you could go either way. If you can read okay but just have trouble seeing things in the distance, you can probably go without glasses while knitting. In my case, even though my near-sightedness got worse since my last appt and I got a stronger prescription, the doctor recommended that I wear my older (slightly weaker) glasses when I'm in front of the computer since I don't need as much correction up close. Since your vision is probably not too bad, you can probably see fine up close without glasses at all.

Of course, I don't think it would hurt if you wanted to wear your glasses all the time either. (Imagine what a pain it would be if you got contacts!)

Try it both ways and see!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney

Welcome to the ranks of the near-sighted!

I'm so bad that if I tried to knit sans glasses, I'd have to hold my work so close to my face that I'd start to go cross-eyed. Same with reading.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

I am near sighted also. I can't see very clearly beyond about 6 inches past my face. If I take off my glasses and look across a room at other people, their faces look like a blank slate to me, no facial features, it's kinda freaky.
Anyway, I need my glasses for knitting! But I agree with Jane, that if you can read ok without glasses, you're probably fine knitting without glasses. Just try to be aware that if you seem to be getting headaches, try knitting with them and seeing if it makes a difference for the better.
Mariblue
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
I've been nearsighted since high school. I didn't have trouble seeing close-up with my glasses until I hit my late 30s, when all of a sudden I couldn't focus on close objects anymore unless I removed my glasses. I have to knit without glasses unless they are bifocals.

Debi
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote