Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

Neat Edge...
Just got my new book Stitch-n-Bitch yea, I'm a couple of years behind!!! Anyway she mentions a method for a nice edge: K or P first st then put needle in second st but do nothing, Stop and pull the yarn tight then go on kintting...Is that just slipping the st..
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you slip the first stitch, you don't knit or purl it--you just move it from one needle to the other. That way works to keep a tight edge, too, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
five_six
Turning the Heel

you continue knitting once you've pulled on the yarn it's just telling you to do it as a step between knitting the first and second stitch. Conversely you can do as Ingrid suggested and just slip the first stitch then knit the rest, it will be knit on the next row.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

"pull" what yarn????? K or P first st, needle in second st, but don't do anything (work it) just pull the yarn tight and continue...again, what yarn am I pulling???
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

You're pulling your working yarn. Since the first stitch is frequently loose since it is only attached to the stitch that follows rather than to one before and after it, by pulling the yarn and holding it tight as you knit the second stitch, you tighten up the first one.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Here's a question for y'all.... I'm finally slipping my first stitches because I'm doing an entrelac scarf and the slipped stitches lie flatter on the back side. The knit rows are working out all right by knitting the last stitch on the previous row and slipping pwise, but the purl stitch is still loopy and too loose. Yes, I pull, it doesn't help. I tried purling the last stitch on the previous row and slipping it kwise, but that's worse. Any tricks for slipping the first stitch on a purl row?

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

When I do a slipped-stitch edge, I always knit the last stitch.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by Ingrid
When I do a slipped-stitch edge, I always knit the last stitch.
But that's normal for stockinette on the knit side row. It leaves a really loose stitch to slip the purl stitch to do that. Which is why I've never liked it when doing scarves and things, so haven't done it. Not only is the stitch loose, when I pick up along those stitches, it sort of pulls on the stitches next to the edge and doesn't look so good.

sue
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Cheley: I don't own that book so I can't refer to it, but I agree with Dee that she is probably describing a technique that simply has you tighten up the second stitch of the row a little bit (no slipping involved). In the version I use, you do the first stitch normally, and then stick the right needle point into the next stitch as usual, but before completing it, tug a little on the working yarn to tighten. (I think keeping the right needle point under the stitch while pulling keeps it from getting too tight.)

A slipped stitch selvage is easier to do (IMO), but there may be times when you don't want a chain selvage because it doesn't match, or makes the edge tighter than you'd like.

If your edges are still loose when you do the second stitch tightening thing, you can also try to just consciously knit the last few stitches of a row a little more tightly than usual. That's supposed to help too.

Sue: This is something I've read up on (can you tell?) because loose edges really bug me. There are several ways to get a chain selvage, and all of them look pretty similar, but according to one source, the "technically superior" one when using stockinette is to slip 1 knitwise on knit rows and slip 1 purlwise on purl rows. (The last stitches of a row are not modified at all so the last stitch of a knit row will be a knit, and the last stitch of a purl row will be a purl.) It's different from what you've been doing, so you might want to try it and see whether you get a better result. The main advantage to this particular method over other chain methods is that your working yarn will be in the correct position when you start the next row -- though it sounds unlikely, it's conceivable that less manipulation of the working yarn will result in less looseness for you. Who knows? It's worth a shot, anyway. You can try the tightening the second stitch thing too.

P.S. Where did you happen to get your chain selvage instructions? It's not a version I can find in any of my books. Is it possible you mis-read it? If so, that could be the source of the problem.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Sue: This is something I've read up on (can you tell?) because loose edges really bug me. There are several ways to get a chain selvage, and all of them look pretty similar, but according to one source, the "technically superior" one when using stockinette is to slip 1 knitwise on knit rows and slip 1 purlwise on purl rows. (The last stitches of a row are not modified at all so the last stitch of a knit row will be a knit, and the last stitch of a purl row will be a purl.) It's different from what you've been doing, so you might want to try it and see whether you get a better result. The main advantage to this particular method over other chain methods is that your working yarn will be in the correct position when you start the next row -- though it sounds unlikely, it's conceivable that less manipulation of the working yarn will result in less looseness for you. Who knows? It's worth a shot, anyway. You can try the tightening the second stitch thing too.

P.S. Where did you happen to get your chain selvage instructions? It's not a version I can find in any of my books. Is it possible you mis-read it? If so, that could be the source of the problem.
I've done the regular sl kw on knit rows and sl pw on purl rows and they're just really loose. Maybe because I don't use teeny needles (less than 10s). The purlside chain idea is something I made up based on Ingrid's suggestion of knitting the last st on a purl row, then slip that pwise on the knit side. I just reversed it for the purl rows. It's slightly better than just slipping pw on the p row, but not much.

sue