Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
ladynikon
Casting On

Wooden or Metal?
I have a strong preference for wooden knitting needles. It seems however I see alot of people with metal as well. Is this a personal preference or is there some benefit I have missed?

Thanks
ladynikon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

The missed benefit is speed. I knit twice as fast with my addi turbos than I do with any other needle type.

The downside is lost stitches if you aren't careful (the same slippiness that helps with speeds also helps with losing stitches). I quickly abandoned my metal straights because I just found I couldn't look away lest my stitches went flying off the needles. This is less of a problem if you knit tight. Some people prefer them anyway. It's all preference.

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
i mainly use straight needles and i prefer wood. they are always relatively warm to the touch unlike metal needles that can get quite hot or cold. i've been taking very warm, lengthy showers this winter and the humidity actually condenses on my metal needles. o_O

i also like wood because they're so natural. i feel very zen-like when i use them with natural fibers. plus, they look great.

i would agree with the speed thing though. when knitting in the round wood is NOT your friend. my yarn constantly gets stuck at the join and the texture of the wood needles makes it quite challenging to push the loops past it. i need to replace my wood circulars with addi turbos.

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #4
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I tried both before i bought my Denises' which I love.
I prefer bamboo over metal..
IMHO
Metal is cold and hard to the touch, even after knitting for quite a while.
My biggest pet peeve was that since it so hard it does not "give" with the yarn like bamboo or resin does.
My other big pet peeve is that the metal tip on the straights bruises my wrists and makes them hurt more.
Therefore I choose resin as my 1st choice and bamboo as 2nd

Although as mentioned the yarn "slides" more easily over them
but IT'S JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE~!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi!

I have managed to accumulate all the circs I think! Denise, KnitPicksOptions, Lantern Moons, Crystal Palace Bamboos, Clover Bamboos, Addis of all sizes and lengths...and some of the old timey Susan Bates 100% plastic/resins.
I don't use straights AT ALL anymore...but keep them for sentimental reasons. Kinda like when one of our hens stops laying...we still keep her on out of appreciation for her years of service.

Latest purchase was 2 pair of the Lantern Moon rosewood and one pair Lantern Moon ebony...wanted to see what all the hype was about. They are definitely a nice needle...but I have had to move my knitting from the rosewoods to KPOs from time to time. As said in a post just before mine...the woods and bamboos can 'stick' to your knitting and pose a major slowup. Aggravating. The price of the 3 pair of Lantern Moons could buy an entire set of KPO's plus extras! Kinda spendy. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I obviously wasn't. Shoulda started with one pair.

But, as it is, I love 'em all for one thing or another.
FAVORITES OVERALL: KnitPicksOptions!
My Recommendation for New Knitters: Denise and graduate to the KPO set eventually. You will need and use them all!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

The first needles I ever got were metal, and they're all I've ever used. I'm sure non-metal ones are lovely as well, but I get kind of freaked out by the thought of bent needles... not sure why, but I knit pretty tight, so I don't ever have a problem with stitches falling off (it's only happened a few times, and always with when there is only one stitch on the needles, and I'm trying to do something like make tea while holding the needles) and I can't bend them!
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
Aquaria
Knitting the Flap

I find wooden needles better when I knit in the round because they don't slip off so easily. But with straight needles I prefer metal ones because they are more slippery and you can knit faster with them. Another point is that if you are a tight knitter, you would usually prefer metal needles because that way it's easier to slip off your ultra-tight stitches. But for loose knitters they usually prefer wooden.

Hope that helps!

~Aquaria
Michael Dulin
http://www.michaeldulin.com/
Steven Cravis
http://music.download.com/stevencrav...g=MDL_quickurl
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
ladynikon
Casting On

Originally Posted by Orangeus
The first needles I ever got were metal, and they're all I've ever used. I'm sure non-metal ones are lovely as well, but I get kind of freaked out by the thought of bent needles... not sure why, but I knit pretty tight, so I don't ever have a problem with stitches falling off (it's only happened a few times, and always with when there is only one stitch on the needles, and I'm trying to do something like make tea while holding the needles) and I can't bend them!
yeah.. I have a pair of the extra long Clover bamboo needles. One of the needles actually did bend! Well a slight curve .. tomato.. tomato.. ( that doesnt look right in text..oh well). I may try a pair of the metal needles. My dr who scarf could probably go a bit quicker.
ladynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Cristy
Instepping Out

metal here--I started with bamboo but moved on to addis and became addicted.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I prefer metal...I just like the way cool metal feels in your fingers, and then warms up as you work. I also like how smooth it is...I have a set of bamboos, and they are nice...but I like my metal ones.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote