Old 02-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Ever Tried Illusion Knitting???
I'm sure you've all seen the cool illusion knit scarf on Knitty Gritty. It looks so complicated, but soooo cool. I'd love to try it, but I don't quite get it. Maybe there's a video (other than Knitty Gritty's) or book out there to help me.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
of troy
Turning the Heel

there is also the illusion scarf in the first SnB book, and for years, there was a girls sweater with illusion hearts in front panal, and finally InKnitters a few years ago had illusion knits tutorial, and a pattern for a G-clef and some notes on a scale

i've made the alien scarf.. but wasn't impressed enough with illusion knitting to do more.
still it is fun to knit on the subway.. other passengers see (and then don't see the pattern (illusion) and its fun to watch them try and figure out, is there or isn't there an alien being knit into the scarf!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
illusion knitting isn't too complicated. it's basically 2 rows per color and the first row is always knit across. the second row is where the pattern comes in... if you purl across it will make stockinette and stockinette is "flat". if you purl some and knit a few.. the knits will make garter stitch and pop out on the right side.
and then you switch to the other color and knit across for the first row and on the second row you can usually just do the exact opposite of the previous color. so... in the previous color you "purl some and knit a few" ... this time you'll "knit some and purl a few"

once you start doing it it makes sense. =) good luck!

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

I bought an old magazine with a bunch of pictures of illusion patterns, pretty interesting. Funny about the subway! I think I'd like to try it sometime. ( a pattern not the subway) l

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 AM   #5
horve1
Turning the Heel

Just did a stripes/squares pillow. Very easy to do, not as easy to see, and very hard to take a picture!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	illusion-shadow_pillow_4_148.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	36037  Click image for larger version

Name:	illusion-shadow_pillow_3_135.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	36038  
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote