Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
susanc
Turning the Heel

Alpacas on "The View"
Did anyone catch "The View" this morning? They just had a segment about alpacas and one of the crew raises them. He brought two with him and Joy kept touching it and remarking how soft and how she loved it! They were adorable!!! Those faces!!! He said they are very friendly and can be trained even! They're sheared once a year and then he sends the "fleece" as he called it to either the Alpaca Cooperative or to a place where they clean it and spin it into yarn! He said it was called the "fleece of the kings". I have to get some alpaca yarn to knit with! SOON!

I'm a chick with sticks and I'm not afraid to use them!

susanc

http://susanc-yarnnut.blogspot.com
susanc is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
They were soo cute!!! I loved their faces.. and I liked that they gave him 4 more and named them after the gals of the view

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
susanc
Turning the Heel

Yeah, that was cool that they did that for him. They have the sweetest faces and their little noses look so soft ~ I always love petting horse's noses because they feel like velvet ~ I bet the alpaca's do too! Sweeties!

susanc

Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
I have been raising alpacas for almost 20 years and I can say that they are adorable creatures. By nature, they seem to be more gentle & human-oriented than are llamas, but as with any animal their personalities and dispositions are predominately molded by the attention & affection we give them.

No question that alpaca yarn is very, very soft. It knits as easily as wool, and garments are quite comfortable and warm. Llama wool is heavier, warmer, not as soft, and more rain & weather resistant than is alpaca.

Spinning alpaca takes a bit of practice. I would suggest that you start out spinning alpaca with wool, as that combo is easier to control at the wheel and produces a more readily serviceable yarn.

These folks offer some very nice alpaca yarns: Blue Sky Alpacas

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

I saw it too. I love alpacas... they were so cute!!! I wish I lived where I could have one! Maybe one day...

But in the mean time, alpaca is one of my favorite fibers to spin. I currently have about 14 pounds of prime alpaca fiber sitting around waiting to be prepared and spun. Lotsa work, but it's sooo worth it. Here's some that I already spun. I haven't knit it up yet though. I have to find the perfect pattern!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Re: Alpacas on "The View"
Originally Posted by susanc
I have to get some alpaca yarn to knit with! SOON!
Did you know you can buy yarn from Alpaca Direct through amazon? I love it because I earn these amazon gift certificates by doing surveys.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Originally Posted by Silver
I saw it too. I love alpacas... they were so cute!!! I wish I lived where I could have one! Maybe one day...

But in the mean time, alpaca is one of my favorite fibers to spin. I currently have about 14 pounds of prime alpaca fiber sitting around waiting to be prepared and spun. Lotsa work, but it's sooo worth it. Here's some that I already spun. I haven't knit it up yet though. I have to find the perfect pattern!
Kristin-

From where came your alpaca rovings?

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by landolphe
Kristin-
From where came your alpaca rovings?
No rovings.. it's all raw. The pics of the spun alpaca came from Windy Hollow Alpacas in Logan, Utah, from their girl Fifi to be exact! lol I hand carded it into rolags, spun it, then washed it. The rest of my stash was bought on Ebay from a fellow spinner who had to give up spinning due to illness. :( I don't know exactly where it comes from, but it's really lovely stuff!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
susanc
Turning the Heel

Re: Alpacas on "The View"
Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
Originally Posted by susanc
I have to get some alpaca yarn to knit with! SOON!
Did you know you can buy yarn from Alpaca Direct through amazon? I love it because I earn these amazon gift certificates by doing surveys.
Really? How cool! What kind of surveys do you do and how did you get into doing them?

As far as buying on Amazon, do you just put in Alpaca Direct in the search and the yarn comes up? I didn't know you could buy yarn on Amazon! I'm learning new things every day!

susanc

Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Petals
Knitting the Flap

I recieved 1200+ yards of alpaca for xmas. I am trying to find out what I could make with this. All the band tells me is that it is 1.4 oz and 125yds. 100 % Alpaca Fiber. It looks like a sport weight to me --2ply. Size 3 needles even seem like too loose of fabric. Any suggestions??? If I make a sweater(which is what my son thought I could do) wouldn't I need to add more yarn to mix with this to do so? It's really nice in a natural alpaca beige and just hate to have it sitting in the closet!
Petals is offline   Reply With Quote