Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Need help from sock knitters.
So I knitted a sock using Silver's sock class and that was pretty easy. I decided to try a pattern from the SKS book and it's not as easy. I'm kind of stuck. Apparently I need large, colorful pictures to get it. I'm at this part...

Quote:
The heel is worked back and forth in rows on 28 sts beg with WS row and ending with RS row.

Rearrange sts to center patt over instep. Unknit last purl of rnd and then:
Move unknit purled st from needle 3 to needle 1, then move 1 st from needle 1 to needle 2 and 1 st from needle 2 to needle 3.

Needle 1: Instep sts
Needle 2: Instep sts
Needle 3: Heel sts.

Work in heel st with 3-st garter border. Starting with a WS row, TURN work before first row.
Ok, first of all what is the point of moving the stitches around? And how do I know which is the WS and which is the RS when it's in the round? And what do they mean by turn the work before the first row?

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

You're moving the stitches around in order to get the right number of stitches in the right place for you to knit the heel flap.

RS in the round is the outside of the sock; WS is the inside.

I'm going to try to answer your last question, but I don't think I'm going to be able to explain it very well.

If I'm picturing it right, you need to turn your work so the inside of the sock is on the right side of the needle holding the heel stitches. Because the heel is worked flat, which side of the work you're on matters. If the wrong side is on the right (along with the sock), it means you're starting the right way. If the wrong side and the rest of the sock is on the left of the needle, you need to turn it.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you more with that last part if I just confused you more

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Re: Need help from sock knitters.
Yep, what JessKnits said. That rearranging stuff in the book always confuses me, too, and I usually just ignore it. But I think what the book means is, you've been working in the round, right? So the outside, the RS, has always been facing you. Now that you're going to knit back and forth for the heel, you'll have to turn the work around so that you're looking down to the inside of the sock because you're going to start with a WS row for the heel flap. That is, your first row of the heel flap will be on the inside of the sock once it's all stitched up.

Originally Posted by SabrinaJL
So I knitted a sock using Silver's sock class and that was pretty easy. I decided to try a pattern from the SKS book and it's not as easy. I'm kind of stuck. Apparently I need large, colorful pictures to get it. I'm at this part...

Quote:
The heel is worked back and forth in rows on 28 sts beg with WS row and ending with RS row.

Rearrange sts to center patt over instep. Unknit last purl of rnd and then:
Move unknit purled st from needle 3 to needle 1, then move 1 st from needle 1 to needle 2 and 1 st from needle 2 to needle 3.

Needle 1: Instep sts
Needle 2: Instep sts
Needle 3: Heel sts.

Work in heel st with 3-st garter border. Starting with a WS row, TURN work before first row.
Ok, first of all what is the point of moving the stitches around? And how do I know which is the WS and which is the RS when it's in the round? And what do they mean by turn the work before the first row?

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Thanks! I got the heel flap done. Now I'm working on the heel turn and I have another question.

Quote:
Row 3: Sl 1, purl to within 1 st of gap, P2tog, P1, turn.
Row 4: Sl 1, knit to within 1 st of gap, ssk, K1, turn.

Rep rows 3 and 4, inc 1 additional knit or purl st after the sl 1 until all sides sts are worked, end with a completed row 4.
I don't really get the part in bold. Am I supposed to just work rows 3 and 4 as they're written or do I have to do something different?

My blog.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

That part confused me a little too, at first. All it's saying is that the gap between 2 stitches is going to be one purl stitch farther away than it was the previous turn; so, yes, just work rows 3 and 4 as they're written.

Congrats on the heel flap!

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Thanks. I just went ahead and did what I thought sounded right and it worked. I think she throws in too many unnecessary additions on the instructions. It just confuses me.

My blog.