Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
BrittKnits
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to BrittKnits Send a message via Yahoo to BrittKnits
can I felt in a front-load washer?
I just read the article on Knitty about how to felt and it left me wondering if it's even possible to felt an item in a front-load washer. Has anyone done it? When you felt, do you put your item in a pillowcase? Will I destroy our brand new washing machine if I don't use a pillowcase?

HELP!

The washing machine thanks you.

Britt
BrittKnits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Jessica
Working the Gusset

Hi Brittknits

I have a front loading washer and I felt in it all the time. I would say yes, use a pillow case. I do everytime I felt. It will catch the loose fibers so you dont clog the pump on your washer. The onyl down side I have found to front loaders is it will get a little wet in front of the washer when you open it to check on stuff because there is always alittle water in the bottom when you stop it in the middle of a cycle. I just lay a towel down in front before I start. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm full of sh*t

http://www.myspace.com/94432495
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

felting in front load washer
I too felt in my front loader. I put my item in a mesh laundry bag along with some empty plastic pill bottles throw it in with a regular load, set at hot wash and cold rinse and it seems to work fine. I have even given it a little time in the dryer to shrink it up more.
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
mickduf
Casting On

I have felted once in my front loader and it worked fine. In fact I ran through a top loader at a laundromat twice before I put in the front loader because I read front loaders didn't work, but it seemed to do a better job. Next time, I'll use my own machine only.
mickduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
mickduf
Casting On

I have felted once in my front loader and it worked fine. In fact I ran through a top loader at a laundromat twice before I put in the front loader because I read front loaders didn't work, but it seemed to do a better job. Next time, I'll use my own machine only.
mickduf is offline   Reply With Quote