Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Baby knitting!
I haven't knit anything in a while and maternal instincts are kicking in, so I am thinking of starting up some baby projects for my hope chest. I know about hats and blankets, but what else is essential for a baby? What's the cutest thing out there to knit? Favorite item? Quickest? I am really just going to knit newborn - baby stuff.

I plan on making my own diapers for the little guy or gal who comes along.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
i'd rather be knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

I think there are some "bib" patterns on the Free Patterns section.

i'd rather be knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
MommaRalph
Ribbing the Cuff

If you're gonna make diapers how about knitting wool diaper covers? Longies http://doodles.thoughtline.com/doodl...tspattern.html or soakers http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/. There are lots of patterns online!
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I was wondering what those were called! I recall someone making something like that for her son, and I never knew what they were called. I will definitely make some of those!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I saw a book at Michaels? that was Patons???? I think anyway~ it was too cute b/e it was a knitted baby bag ( for mommie) along with a baby blanket, or hat, or booties and it was such a cute pair I thought.

also Knititng Pattern central if you look under hats has the CUTEST hats IMHO.. apples, pears,bunny ears.. and one site had a bunny outfit that was beyond adorable!!
Don't get me started~!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

I've got one of http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=411 these in the works right now.

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

How cute! I remember seeing that bear pattern somewhere, but I don't remember - maybe in a catalog or something.

I'll try to go to Michaels to see that paton's book, I know they have several lying around. Thanks for the help guys!

So far I will make:

Hats, pants, soakers, longies, bath mitt, mittens, booties, maybe a blanket with a hood, MAYBE a sweater (I don't know yet), and I will be sewing a baby sling eventually.

Anything else I should add to the list?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
Cristy
Instepping Out

well..I have a newborn and I'm trying to knit thumbless mittens....even if you trim their nails, they tend to scratch up their face pretty easily. We couldn't find any w/o going to a baby specialty store so I'm trying to knit some up.

It's not essential but the book "One Skein" has a baby bolero that is cute as can be....a friend knit one for my little guy but it was too small for him (darn big babies!)...I'm keeping it as a keep sake since it's so cute!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #9
MommaRalph
Ribbing the Cuff

Cristy, I used this pattern: http://knitlink.blogspot.com/2005/10...s-mittens.html and I completed them and I'm a very new knitter! They were for a baby shower gift. Size 3 DPNs were finnicky but it's possible!
Here's a pic:
Mod Squad was here (photo resize)
Photo Size Info
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumblessmitts.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	36218  
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Cristy
well..I have a newborn and I'm trying to knit thumbless mittens....even if you trim their nails, they tend to scratch up their face pretty easily. We couldn't find any w/o going to a baby specialty store so I'm trying to knit some up.

It's not essential but the book "One Skein" has a baby bolero that is cute as can be....a friend knit one for my little guy but it was too small for him (darn big babies!)...I'm keeping it as a keep sake since it's so cute!
Christy, It has been a lonnnngggggg time since I was a newborn mom, do they still have the little gowns that have the fold over flap on the sleeves you pull over the hands to prevent them from scratching? I wanted to get some for my dil for the baby when it comes, but I can't find them anywhere.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote