Old 02-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by nikkibeans
Quote:
Never done those myself, but one thing I remember reading about them is that it's common for the inner sock to turn out smaller -- just the problem you want to avoid!
I definitely want to avoid that problem, but I'm trying to figure out how the inner sock would come out smaller. You have the same number of stitches, and if you're working on them at the same time, your tension is more likely to remain the same. I'll try it and let you know how the swatch comes out.

Has anyone ever tried this? How did it come out?
[/quote]

You know what? You're right -- I totally misspoke. I was thinking about double knitting hats where you are knitting on the outside layer and purling the inside layer so it's reversible. When the knit and purl tensions are different, one side will be a little smaller. But with socks, you're knitting both from the outside, so it doesn't matter. Sorry for the confusion!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
[edited out after re-reading the pattern]

I would definitely consider refraining from using an advanced pattern/technique until you have some successful sock experience under your belt.

This comes from experience, because I knitted my first pair of socks from an advanced pattern! Straight Laced from Knitty.

Enjoy knitting socks! :D

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote