Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Question for those who have made, and USE, Kitty Pi Bed
I have been thinking about making a Kitty Pi bed for Puddy, our cat. Puddy is an indoor/outdoor cat. Though we brush her, she still leaves clumps of hair and dirt wherever she lies around inside. We keep towels on her favorite spots on the furniture, and fortunately, she always lies on the towels.

My concern is that when the Kitty Pi bed gets dirty (and it will), can it be machine washed (gentle cycle/cold water), or will that cause the bed to felt more? :thinking:
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
Whats your secret? My cats move the towels first!!!

Sorry - can't help with the question but am very interested in the topic!

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Renna,

I've made it and felted it, and though my cats have used it, I've not felt the need to wash it as yet...I just go outside, shake it lots, then turn it inside out and shake it some more!

I would imagine that a gentle wash with luke water wouldn't felt it any more, as felting requires heat & agitation. Then, too, you could reshape it as you're drying it with whatever you used in the first place.

Good Luck!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
felting only happens when hot water is used. i made one for my sister and well i don't know what happened to it. but it shouldn't felt more if you wash it in cold water and then reblock it. i wouldn't throw it in the dryer though. the one i made fit on a cake cover so whatever you use to block it keep it around to reblock when washed. hope that helps a little!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Birdy
1st Leg of the Journey

I would think that after felting, you could probably use tape to help you remove the fur sticking to the inside.

A couple of sticky side out wraps of packing tape over your hand and a quick dabbing type motion and you should be able to pick most of the cat hair off the felted work.

I just use cheap cat beds from the pet store for our two cats.

They fight over the one bed

Anyhow, I just vacuum those once in a while. I sprayed both with a Cat Nip spray in the beginning to get them to use the beds.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I think I'll go ahead and make one. Our sofa has very wide (and deep )arms. I'll probably sit the bed on the back corner of one end of the sofa, which is Puddy's favorite spot now, as she can watch the birds out the window there. As long as the bed is in one of "her" spots, I think she will use it.

I was thinking that having an actual 'bed' for her might contain some of her fluffs of fur which occasionally extend off the towel. Frankly, I'm tired of dealing with the fur, but my ds and dh are crazy about that cat, so whatcha gonna do, huh?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
jodstr2
Instepping Out

yeah, I wash mine by hand in the sink with cold water and a little bit of hand soap, then block it. it hasn't felted any more than it did during the original felting session.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Great!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
For blocking it - you could just use the cat!

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote