Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
toe up problem
i asked this very same question a while back, but i can't find the post, so forgive me.

i am working on the universal toe-up from knitty and i managed to make the very same mistake again... when you are working the wrapped stitches, the rows begin with W&T and then a Sl1... i may or may not have done a few of the sl1's, but when i was done with all of the wrapped stitches, realized i'd stopped some time ago... is this okay? the picture below shows the side, is that why it looks like that or is that close to normal? and the million dollar question, do i purposely skip the sl1's on sock 2 (assuming i don't rip this one out, which i might because i think i lost a stitch when i pulled out the chain, which i also have trouble with, any hints? i picked up something in its place, maybe it was the stitch i lost, who knows...) or do i do the pattern correctly on sock 2?

thanks a bunch!!!!
Attached Images:

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I've done a couple of pairs toe-up and it looks reasonable to me, perhaps a bit odd but that could be because of the colour pattern in the wool. Most importantly, it looks like it works fine as a toe and isn't about to disintegrate. It's up to you. If you are slightly anal and won't be happy wearing a sock that you know didn't quite follow the pattern you meant to use, then rip it out before you waste any more work. If you don't care just as long as it makes a good toe, then leave it in. I'd leave it in myself.

Again, if it would bother you to have two toes that were made slightly differently, do the second to match. I would prefer to try to follow the pattern to get better at doing socks correctly from a pattern and understanding how they're normally done. Do whatever you prefer - but don't think that you should rip just because you did the pattern differently: if they are the right shape and don't have holes, nothing wrong with keeping them.
(However if the mistake has given you a different stitch count it's a good idea to increase or decrease to get back to the number the pattern describes at this point.)
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
If it were me, I would go back and redo it. But I am meticulous about that stuff. It actually looks fine to me. All I do are toe up socks. But if I knew that I messed up, I would redo it.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I'd probably redo it too, though I'm weird that way. I think most people would consider it a "design feature" and move on. (If you can make the other sock match, it will strengthen your argument that it's a design element.)

One downside of frogging socks is that since the yarn is fairly fine, it often gets kinky -- if you decide to go that way, you'll want to straighten it out before starting to knit again or your tension may turn out really wonky. (I think grumperina had a pic of this phenonmenon on her site.) All you need to do is make a small hank (I make one out of the kinky part when it's still connected to the rest of the skein), wet it, smooth it out, and let it dry. If the kinks are stubborn, hang a small weight on the bottom of the hank while it's drying.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote