Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Keeping track of rounds?
Hello lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm making a Noni Adventure Bag with my Cascade 220 in a lovely dark purply tweed which is fullfiling 2 criteria -- helping me de-stash and also have a February KAL project! I'm using my new Denise's for the first time and loving them

But I digress . . .

The pattern requires me to keep track of the number of rounds. (Annoying, aint it? Why on earth it isn't written out in measurements is beyond me but it isn't)

If I was knitting on straights, I'd pop my handy counter on one needle and knit away.

Can't use the counter on circs so usually what I do is have a piece of scrap paper handy and make my hatch marks til I'm done.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Just wondering . . .

Best,
Susan -- whose kids are home cause Connecticut schools are closed for the ice store. We were hoping for snow but oh, well!

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i have done a few different things. I bought a bunch of these once and use them as the end of round marker. Just change the number when you slip it, ya know.

i have also put those one stitch in when knitting flat so i have something to hold it on. That way when i come to it, i just tick the count up two ticks.

most of the time, though, I just count the Vs.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've never used a row counter, I count the purl side bumps to figure how many rounds I've done.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
bip
Turning the Heel

I keep the counter on a piece of yarn around my neck, which works especially well for my "mobile" projects (those that I work on both at home and in public). For projects that are too complicated and I only work on at home, I have a click counter that I keep beside me.

Back to the piece of yarn around my neck, I also have a tiny pair of scissors on the string - I do no like searching for things! I have another with a knitting medallion on it in addition to the counter, but watch out! I cut a chunk of my hair about 2 months ago and it now stands straight up like Alfalfa.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

If they provided a row gauge, you should be able to figure out how many inches those specific row counts add up to and then measure your work against it. Even if I have row or round counters, I always manage to lose count and be off.

You could also use a row marker (looks like a little earing) too, and just count the rows above it until reach the desired number.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
I use a copy of the pattern and a pencil to keep track, and I count the rows (the Vs), too, just in case I forgot to mark down a row.

I make the marks for each section next to the instructions for that section, so I only ever have to look at the pattern; it helps me see what part of the instructions I'm working on also.

Finally, I use a pencil in case I decide to frog it and start over. If it's an item to be duplicated, like socks or gloves, I either erase the marks from the previous one, or I insert a bullet () between the 2 sets of marks. I also carry an extra click eraser, in case something happens to the one on the mechanical pencil.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

i use the clip on stitch markers that i got from Joann. I just make sure I know which row i clipped it in and then count the knit Vs from there.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting In Plain English had a clever idea. She strings her stitch counter that she uses with straight needles to a stitch marker with a piece of yarn and places the marker at the beginning of each round. I haven't ever tried it, but sounded like a good idea to me.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
mrs desert rain
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to mrs desert rain
sometimes i use a row counter, but i usually just count the v's. on the soaker i'm knitting now, i'm using a paperclip. couldn't find my other doo-dads.

Free time? What free time?
More socks (Lorna's Laces, Baltic Sea)
Tie-Front Cardigan (p. 71 VOGUE Knitting, Holiday 06)
Rose Cardigan (VOGUE Knitting, Winter 07)

Recent FO's
Wicked Sweater
Socks and socks and socks
Calorimetries Galore
mrs desert rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by mrs desert rain
sometimes i use a row counter, but i usually just count the v's. on the soaker i'm knitting now, i'm using a paperclip. couldn't find my other doo-dads.

If i run into that problem then i knit a piece of scrap yarn into the row and just cut it out when i need to move it or when i am done.

Usually i use the same ones that SandraEllen does though.