Old 02-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
OT: Can I vent for just a minute?
Ugh, I just seriously need to vent for just a second. I work in a hopsital in the administrative offices of the Endocrinology section. A patient called this morning and said that she need a refill on her medication and when the other assistant asked her the name of the med she couldn't pronounce it. The doc looked in the chart at the med and wrote a script but said not to send it until we talked to the patient and confirmed that this was the correct medication. Well fast forward to this afternoon, and the patient calls back. I tell her I need the name of the med to give her the script. She tells me she doesn't know and can't spell or pronounce it, so I have no idea what she is talking about. I told her that the doc said I couldn't give the script without the name and she tells me I should know the name by looking in her chart...well there's 5 meds in her chart so how am I supposed to know what one she needs?

The women is yelling at me by now saying don't make me come down there (I should've told her to bring it on). I told her I couldn't help her if she was going to speak to me this way and that she needs to calm down. I kept calm the whole time finally putting her on hold so I could gain my composure since I thought I could cry. When I got back on the phone I finally straightened out the whole mess with her and told her I could send the script. She asked me my name and then the name of the person she was speaking to before (which was me and I told her). I explained to her that I was just doing what I was told by the doc and I'm sorry if it wasn't what she wanted to hear but I'm doing my job.

One of the other docs heard the whole thing and when I got off the phone she told me how she was amazed I held my composure throughout the conversation. It made me feel better to hear from her that she didn't think I did anything wrong or speak rude to the patient. I was just so frusterated and upset when I got off the phone. Even though I don't really feel like I was wrong in this situation, I still don't want her to call and complain about me. I understand when patients call and are frusterated especially with this doc since she says she will do something for a patient and doesn't do it for a few weeks , then I get blamed for it. I'd be frusterated too, but this woman was seriously out of control.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent everyone.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
So she couldn't spell it off the label of the empty bottle?

Dealing with the public can be quite frustrating at times. Take a deep breath and satisfy yourself in the knowledge that you were professional and did your job.

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.htm

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
letah75
Working the Gusset

Rest assured if she calls and complains she will most likely still have the same personality she did when she was on the phone with you, and it won't go anywhere.

Luckly in my job when people get out of control like that I can say "I'm sorry but talking to me that way is fully innappropriate and I'm hanging up now. Call me when you can control yourself"

One of my co-workers told someone who was out of control "I understand you're point but the way you are going about it makes me think you need to go to anger management, I can refer you to someone...Oh, you don't agree? Ok then I'm going to hang up"

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
DQ
Working the Gusset

I know how hard it is to deal with angry people on the phone, well done for keeping your cool!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Chrissie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy
So she couldn't spell it off the label of the empty bottle?

Dealing with the public can be quite frustrating at times. Take a deep breath and satisfy yourself in the knowledge that you were professional and did your job.

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.htm
yeah, what Mason said.....customer service can be the most difficutl job ever sometimes, but you handled it very well. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think a new ball of yarn is in order to make yourself feel better.....
Tuscany from NSFY in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool - it's working up beautifully.
Montego Bay Scarf from Summer 07 IK Knits in Sea Silk - an indulgent knit
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
newamy
Working the Gusset

If you really think she will make a formal complaint beat her to it. Fill out an Unusual Occurance (incident) report. This will allow you to describe the circumstances of what happened. Also list the doctor who over heard you as witness. Take it to your supervisor, discuss it with him/her. That way You are up front and they have something on file when/if the complaint comes through. Sometimes such reports are very useful, especially when something goes wrong or a potential error might occur- that's not your fault. Here is a possible prescription problem, take care of yourself in the matter. Also it's best to get it down today while it's fresh in your mind. If she calls and someone talks to you next week you might have lost some important details.

Also remember that some patients can be very mean no matter what and there isn't anything you can do about it but exactly what you did.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I work in healthcare and I tend to be really good at calming down irate patients. If this situation ever happens again, i would point out that medical errors happen all the time, and giving her the wrong medication because of a misunderstanding in spelling or pronounciation could result in serious injury or death. There are lots of medicines out there that look and sound the same that are vastly different medications. For instance, naproxen is an anti-inflammatory pain medication, and is sold over-the-counter as aleve (though prescriptions are still written for it in stronger concentrations). However, naloxone, which can sound the same, and look the same on paper, is an opioid used as an antidote to morphine and heroin in overdose situations. The two drug names sound and look similar, and a person unfamiliar with naloxone might think that whomever had written that word had meant to write naproxen, and had simply misspelled it.

Also, people have the same name all the time. I heard of one story when I was doing a clinical in labor and delivery where there were two mothers with the exact same name, differing by only a letter, and the same birth year (different days). One was getting her tubes tied after her birth, the other wasn't. They had different doctors, but frequently had the same people caring for both of them. One nurse who had worked with them said that they were identifying them by specifying "this one has an e in her name, and is NOT having a tubal" and "this one has no e in her name, and IS getting a tubal". Their care in making sure they had the right patient prevented the possible disaster of giving the tubal to the wrong woman.

These are only two examples, but millions of medical errors are made EVERY DAY because of similar mistakes. Seriously, studies have shown that the amount of medication errors every day is equivalent to something like a plane crash a day or something similar (I can look up the study if you want). So, when someone complains to you that you should know the name of their drug, remind them that you are looking out for their safety by being extra sure that the medication they are asking for is the medication you're going to be giving them. By not being able to spell the medication for you, it is unclear whether she even needed the medication anymore. And seriously, in the course of one shift I can forget details like that about patients. A busy endocrinology office needs to have those safeguards in place.

Finally, to you for keeping your cool and standing your ground. You did a great job and are a boon to the profession.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
see now when she said "don't make me come down here" I would have said "Okay but if you do, could you bring the empty bottle with you so we know which med you are talking about? thanks so much!"

but i am a wise cracker ya know.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
letah75
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
see now when she said "don't make me come down here" I would have said "Okay but if you do, could you bring the empty bottle with you so we know which med you are talking about? thanks so much!"

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Originally Posted by brendajos

Good job on maintaining your composurem Kaydee. You did your job well.
Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote