Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Can you KNIT and do another yarn craft??
Just wondered if/who could do more than one "fiber arts " craft. I love my knitting but I am seriosly thinking about trying to learn to crochet too~ I have seen that crochet adds some very nice borders to knitted garments. and it just so happens that I went to Joanns today to ask for a little help.. Guess what ?? the clerk was very helpful to me, showed me the hooks that were on sale~ SHE TEACHES CROCHET~~!

If I keep this up~~ I am going to be a very craft but poor girl~!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I can crochet and I've done embroidery, too. I just prefer knitting now, but crochet is excellent to know for borders.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
I knit, crochet and am learning tatting

I love knit for wearables and sweater type things, but crochet adds some interesting designs and is great for me because it's faster. I also love thread crochet with it's intricacies Tatting I wanted to learn for years and I plan on making tatted lace for the baby girl clothes I make and sell alot of

The good thing is.. the yarn is interchangeable between knitting and crochet.. so you only need to buy hooks.. not a whole new yarn stash. There are some yarns that work up much better crocheted, and some that work up much better knitted. That is trial and error but there's definitely always room for both in my craft basket(s).. ok craft rooms..
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I learned how to crochet as a little girl but never mastered it, and I'd like to learn it again. I can do single crochet and chain stitch, but that's it. This particular site has some great videos for crochet techniques much like Amy's knitting videos if you're interested. I love knitting, but there are some things I think I like better crocheted; it would be nice to have the "luxury" to be able to go back and forth and knit the things I want knitted, and crochet the things I like crocheted.

Donna--I'd LOVE to learn how to tat--it's so beautiful!!!!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I knew how to crochet before I learned to knit. I prefer knitting, but do use crochet to make prettier borders on my FOs.

I would LOVE to learn tatting! My grandmother used to tat before her eyesight started to go...none of her daughters were interested in learning, so no one else in the family can do this. It is really becoming a dying art.

I would love to tat some borders on pillowcases!

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

I learned to crochet as a little girl but only ever learned the basics and I don't ever do it. I have thought of learning it b/c I can tell it is fast and I like the idea of crocheted borders on some of my knitted items but I'm not sure where to find more time or patience in my life! My grandmother uses crochet thread and crochets borders on pieces of flannel to make little receiving blankets and they are super cute and handy--she taught me to do it several years back but I'm out of practice and not sure I'd remember how.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
knit-errant
Knitting the Flap

I learned to crochet before I knew how to knit, and I'm still a better crocheter than I am a knitter. I can't say I really prefer one over the other, though... I enjoy both.

I do a little embroidery too, though it's been a long time since I've done it. I really liked crewel-work and hardanger.

And add me to the list of those who want to learn to tat! It's so pretty. I can (kind of) do the most basic of basics. Somehow, I just don't "get" how to shuttle tat, but needle tatting makes more sense to me.
knit-errant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I am trying to learn crochet.. I have made a purse for my little girl... I use to sell my emboridery work for a local shop.. and I have made a baby quilt for my daughter.. my flower garden quilt and charm quilt are stll not done... maybe one day they will be

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
madametj
Working the Gusset

i know basic crochet stitches, i also latch rugs (with a latchhook) and do needlepoint (i'm not sure if thats the right word for it, its the one with the plastic canvas...)

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
becjo
Knitting the Flap

I have about 4 knit projects going on - and at night, I cross stitch. I can cross stitch and watch TV where when I'm knitting, and have a pattern, I can't do 2 things at once. Plus, my hands wears out if I knit for long periods of time so this works out great for me. I knit at work during lunch or breaks, have projects in my car for stops, a project by my bed just for morning & before bed knitting - but LOVE my cross stitching too. It's just prioritizing everything. It's not going to confuse you or anything.

http://www.rebecca-belle.blogspot.com

Come visit me at Ravelry! - my name is becjo
http://www.ravelry.com/people/becjo
becjo is offline   Reply With Quote