Old 02-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Mrs. Columbo

What "Type" Knitter Are You?
I did not compose this but as I read it in my Knitting Rules book I thought "gee, I wonder what kind of knitter everyone is?" .... decided to (try and) find out.

THE MISSIONARY: Missionary knitters are those who, regardless of their skill level, are compelled to spread the word of the knit. Convinced (and quite rightly) that knitting is the best thing since sliced bread, they're forever attempting to spread the word of the wool and convert ordinary people into knitters. Their enthusiasm is infectious and they're generous with lessons, time and knitting supplies. Their motto is "don't knock it til you've tried it" and they're visionaries of the knitting world. Missionaries are by nature, giving people, and will often make a gift of yarn or needles to a fledgling knitter to entice her and keep her knitting. Sometimes called "pushers" by other knitters, missionaries will always encourage a stash-enhancing trip, never turn down a knitting social event, and are usually the head of the local knitting club.

THE SENSEI: Senseis have elevated knitting to a lifestyle. Never without needles and yarn, there's nothing knitting senseis don't know, and many of them are natural teachers. Through a combination of experience, education, and good instincts, knitting senseis are walking knitting text books. Wondering how to make the top of a sock stretchy enough? Knitting senseis know a dozen cast ons. Mis-cross a cable 17 rows ago? Knitting senseis can show you how to fix the mistake without ripping it back. Knitting senseis never wonder whether a knitted project would be too difficult for them. If they haven't done it, it's because they choose not to. Knitting senseis know all, see all and fear nothing. If they weren't so damned helpful, you would hate them. You'll recognize a sensei by their confident knitting style, the stacks of complex patterns, and stashes that rival the gross national product of a small country.

THE SCIENTIST: Knitting scientists are identified by the stuff in their knitting bags: a caculator, graph paper and a palm pilot with spreadsheet detailing their stash. Never caught unready, knitting scientists swatch religiously, calculate gauge to the quarter stitch, and plot decreases according to a rate of slope that they have personalized for their own body type. Mortified to turn out a sweater with a wonky neckline, scientists place more focus on the technical aspects of knitting. They tend to be methodical stashers, usually buying yarn with a project in mind. This does nothing to limit the size of their stash but it does organize it somewhat. Knitting scientists are likely the only knitters who can put their hands on a tape measure in less than five minutes. xxx

ORGANIC KNITTER: Organic knitters are all about the process. Utterly relaxed about gauge and swatching, organics knit happily along, unconcerned and (mostly) uncaring about the outcome of a project. Organics are all about the yarn, the feel and the act of knitting and embrace the full yarn family of activities. Occasionally organics are known as the "multi crafter" moving surely among weaving, crochet and knitting and often combining several approaches. Organics can be identified with certainty when you overhear the phrase "No, I didn't swatch - it will fit somebody". Another characteristic is their longing to so fully embrace knitting that they have earnest discussions about how to get a flock of sheep into an urban townhouse backyard.

THE PRETENDER: These knitters are barely knitters, having been granted "knitter" status only by the virtue of their affection for the craft and the way they keep turning up. Pretenders buy lots of yarn and lots of patterns, and show up at all the conferences and knitting meetups, but - inexplicably - don't seem to knit at all. Pretenders can be outed by careful observation. Have they been knitting the same blue garter stitch scarf for six and a half years with no discernible progress? Pretenders (or knit supporters) are somehow immune to the charms of knitting, but have fallen head over heels for their community of knitters.

If you meet another knitter who's exactly your type, always try to get to the yarn shop ahead of her. She's your fiercest competition.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
There's one missing.

The Newbie Knitter: Really enjoys knitting, doesn't have the slightest idea what he/she is doing, but plods ahead regardless.

That would be me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I'm fearless, but inexperienced, and I don't swatch. So I'm an organsei?

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
lol i am totally organic!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I'm definitely a Missionary knitter. I've given away quite a few skeins of yarn, pairs of needles and books to friends who express a serious interest in learning.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Originally Posted by cawthraven
I'm fearless, but inexperienced, and I don't swatch. So I'm an organsei?
That's me, too.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Missionary here.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I'm none of that. I love knitting, and prefer difficult patterns (sensei), but I don't know everything and I don't alway carry needles and yarn with me.

I do use my calculator sometimes when I'm changing a pattern and I do swatch, (scientist) but never the whole fabric, just to know for sure it is the correct width. (I don't care about length, that's what my tape mesure is for)

So I guess I'm a sciensei

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
i think i'm mostly an organic knitter with a large dose of missionary (i'm a total pusher! ). and maybe a bit of the scientist mixed in (i keep VERY detailed spreadsheets of my yarn stash, needles, and projects).

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I would really like to be a Scientist, and have some Scientific attributes (e.g. I am a scientist in real life, but more importantly, I know exactly where each of my two tape measures is right now, less than ten metres away from me). However, I think I am actually a Sensei, not because I have used every method myself, but I like to read about knitting techniques online, read many tutorials, and can describe what seems to be the recommended techniques/s for certain applications.
I have managed to resist my missionary inclinations completely (snigger, especially with regard to the word 'inclinations').
Although, after I showed all my work to my mother (an ex-knitter), she took it up again to begin a scarfy-stoley item which she didn't finish. But I swear I wasn't enabling or facilitating it. Really.
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote