Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
A CHALLANGE TO ALL.. HELP ME PROVE DAUGHTER WRONG!
OK, I'm home from spoiling grandchildren, and daughter.. son-in law was spoiled by his mother...

When I was quizzing her about what she wanted me to knit next..she said.. (brace yourselves)

Why don't you sew..something.. w/ material & a pattern, stitch it up.. like NeNaw(my mother) did.

I about died. First of all my mother..(God rest her soul) was a perfectionist. She drove me nuts. So therefore, she made sewing pure frustration. If I didn't do it her way..she would take it out and make me redo it.. enough about that said.

I explained to daughter, (through cleenched teeth) that I hated sewing and she knew that. I asked why no knit items...

"I just don't like the LOOK of knitted things" she stated.

I almost lost it. I've knitted blankets, toys, ponchos, for a little over 2 years. Huge afghans.. she loved all of those...But, when it comes to clothing.. she stated she hasn't seen a knitted item she likes the look of. She likes sweaters, but can't imagine anything else looking good knitted.

OK ALL.. HELP!. I'm not a novice, but also not an expert. Help me find a cute top for granddaughter, or a dress that will fit a 4T. It needs not to look knitted.. (yeah right) give me specific ideas.. I have to proove her wrong.. ( & yes I can't wait to do that)

I can handle cables, no problem. I've made a sweater.. (ok wrong size.. but I hadn't seen granddaughter in 5 months at the time.. and just followed the pattern) I can handle sleeves and necklines.

I've yet to do zippers, but I do want to do it fairly quick to proove her wrong.. buttons are no problem.

Grandson is 5 weeks so, a sweater would be fine for him as well, he's almost 8 lb. (* don't get me started about the looks of these 2.. Amy doesn't have enough bandwidth.. believe me)

Or for daughter.. She's about a size 9... breastfeeding.. so top needs to be easily accessable. She is short.. but likes longer sweaters...

Any of the above 3 give me specific ideas & or patterns w/ yarn ideas. I'm desperate.

I was so devastated, I couldn't even finish the dragon scarf I was knitting for grandson.. She looked at it and said.. oh I didn't know you were knitting it....

I begging you.. help!

If she hadn't given me 2 wonderful grandchildren, I might have spanked her right then and there.. but she was nursing grandson at the moment so I couldn't. and she is 23, and can run faster than I can.. dang it..

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Different people do have different tastes.

What about some sort of felted project?

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well I think that this little skirt is cute as a button!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
Are you able to show her some cool websites like knitty? Some of the patterns in there are so different than you find in the shops that she may just not have seen what she wants yet.

As soon as she puts that baby down, you spank her! Go Girl!!!

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Deeknit
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Deeknit
I agree, take her to knitty.com or elann.com. Even better take her to a Barnes&Noble or Borders and look let her look at the books. Ask her to pick something out that she would wear. Tell her she is helping you..... uh,,, improve your skills. This should open her eyes to a lot.

Stuff looking "Homemade" is a lot more prevalent with sewing ( I know, I've been there) than knitted sweaters.....
www.deeknitter.blogspot.com
Deeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I've always loved this pattern but my dd is to big!

Studio Knits Skirt and Top

If you scroll down past the odd little booties and other stuff on their homepage, there are a few cute and easy looking children's sweaters:
Studio Knits

Hope this helps!

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I love Wendy's items and have knit a lot for my little girl... here is one of her patterns that I really like.. you can see her other patterns on garterblet too.. along with other great children items.. The drive thru is another cute one.. they all are

http://www.thegarterbelt.com/wb_jan.html

and then on her blog under free patterns she has the Short Snort tank top.. my daughter got so many compliments on this tank...

if you go to KPC there are a lot of wonderful kid's patterns on their too...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rookha_184.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	36672  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Well, people do like different things. There's not one knitting item in my mother's wardrobe that isn't done at some crazy fine gauge. My mother's tastes are very sleek and modern, and even the most form-fitting and slickest of sweaters knit up in silk on size 3 needles would be too bulky and, well, knitty, for her. And certainly no home accessories that are knitted or crocheted. And that's cool. How about a romp through your daughter's closet to see what types of things she likes? I suspect you'd have to go as fine a gauge as possible.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Hang in there MOM~!!

Maybe it's those post pregnancy hormones that are making her loose her memory and sanity~!!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
YouCantBuyThisMovement
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to YouCantBuyThisMovement Send a message via Yahoo to YouCantBuyThisMovement
Ha ha I will catch her so you can spank her! I am a 20 year old daughter lol and I cant get enough knitted items I love them I think they look great. I have a bit of the opposite problem though my mom is always wanting something knitted I think clogs for her next lol. How about that some clogs or a baby bag. Sorry I just don't know how to please someone like that lol.

Good luck babe!

YouCantBuyThisMovement is offline   Reply With Quote