Old 02-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #11
Mrs. Columbo

I cast on 10 st and try to join and see how I fare but it won't join either .. I did put on 11 st and slipped it and ended up with 10 but they are on the straight .. maybe not enough stitches to join up? Maybe I need the 100? I did find some 3 3/4 needles with a 16" cord.

Toby

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
Mrs. Columbo

Does the first row not join?? What did I do wrong?

Toby[/img]
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting_033__338_x_253_.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	36671  
Old 02-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #13
five_six
Turning the Heel

Toby, just keep going, that looks fine. It's your cast on row that is creating a bit of a gap, cause if you think of it, you are joining technically, at the beginning of the second round (if you count the cast on as a row, and i don't people, it's just for examples sake...), so your 'first' row isn't joined yet. You can just darn that together at the end. With more practise you won't get this problem as much, but she's looking good at the moment.

And 10 stitches wouldn't be enough to join, unless you were doing magic loop or some other small diameter technique.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Just use the tail to sew up the gap when you're done. It looks like a good join to me.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quite a few knitters cast on one extra stitch for circular knitting, then knit the extra with the first cast on to join. It helps minimize the gap you get if you just start knitting to join. I started doing it when I first heard about it last year, and don't do it the other way at all anymore.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #16
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
You can also take that extra stitch, slip it over to the RH needle, then slip what was the first stitch on that needle over it and off the needle to create a join.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

You can also just exchange places with the first and last stitches, putting the stitches at the point of each needle on the opposite needle, kind of like passing a stitch over but you don't drop either off the needles. With this method, you would cast on what you need, no extra stitches.

Toby, I think for your original post, they are assuming that you are poised to begin knitting the first round, which would have your working yarn on the right needle and then you would slip that last stitch (closest to the point) on the right hand needle to the left and then knit what is now the 2 stitches closest to the point of your left needle together. This is how I usually join my rounds, after casting on the required number needed + 1, since you then lose that extra stitch when you k2tog. I usually also use both the working yarn and the tail yarn for the k2tog and a few stitches more to weave that tail in, giving a good tug after the k2tog to tighten everything up. This makes my joins pretty imperceptible and with the tail woven in, there's no darning of that end later. You just need to make sure on the next round to treat those double stitches as one, as there will be 2 loops around the needle for each stitch that used the working and tail yarns.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
Mrs. Columbo

Originally Posted by suzeeq
Quite a few knitters cast on one extra stitch for circular knitting, then knit the extra with the first cast on to join. It helps minimize the gap you get if you just start knitting to join. I started doing it when I first heard about it last year, and don't do it the other way at all anymore.

sue
Ok ... I've tried it again (I frogged)
Cast on 100 st, put marker on, cast on 1 more st .. so now all my new work is on my R needle .... I take the 1 st and put it on my L needle, move the marker then K2 tog, those being the first 2 st behind the marker ... I used the tail and working yarn together for 3 stitches ... I guess now what I want is to still have 100 st when I'm done .... I seem to have less of a gap there now.

Am I getting it?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	amarylllis_005__338_x_253_.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	36680  
Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Krazy4kats' method is what I use and always get a flawless join (also I make sure that the tail tightens the slipknot at first and the strand leading to the ball is the one that loosens it, not the other way round). Later I tighten the knot by pulling on the tail and make a 'stitch' that looks like a cast-on stitch between the two.
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
five_six
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Mrs. Columbo
Am I getting it?
Looking good Toby

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote