Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
windancr
Casting On

What Size DP's
Greetings -

I am going to knit socks with a DK weight - what size DP's would you use? (newbie here)
windancr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hard to say...would probably be a real good idea to knit a gauge swatch to see what you'll be getting with your yarn and needles. With DK, you could likely use size 4 to size 8, but you *do* want to try to match the gauge in your pattern so your socks won't look like they've been made for godzilla...

Good Luck!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I'd guess probably a 5 or 6, but as already suggested, knitting a swatch will tell you if it's even close. I'm doing socks with worsted right now, and a 6 is working nicely.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi,

If you're using a yarn that isn't "sock yarn", try knitting your swatch on needles 2 sizes smaller than what you would normally use for the yarn. You generally want the fabric of socks to be more tightly knit than say a sweater to get better wearability and a bit smoother feel on the bottoms of your feet.

Remember - needle sizes on ball bands are "suggestions" not laws!

If you are using a "sock yarn" the needle size suggested is usually appropriate to get a fabric that works well for socks.

Happy Sock Knitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote