View Poll Results: Could you survive a day without a computer?
Yes 45 64.29%
No 9 12.86%
Depends on what day of the week... 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Of course I could do it.

For a whole day.

But that's all.

Don't make me even think about 2 days.

It wouldn't be pretty.

Besides, how would I know what Mason's knitting next?

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #22
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
I work with computers, about computers and for computers so I couldn't do a workday without one. On holiday I take one with me for the sole purpose of uploading my pics to on a daily basis, I take a lot of pics and this is cheaper than the number of memory cards I would need.

I do a lot of camping and hiking (when I am not sick) on weekends and never use a pooter there at all - although I do plot my routes and sites on a computer so it is involved in the day, even if its not used.

I shall participate in the 24th I think though - I'm not a total slave to it.

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #23
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I do everytime I go home mom does not have a computer in her house.. so when I go home for week trips I gotta find something else to do.. which really isn't that bad.. and usually when I come home it takes me awhile to get back into the hang of using the computer like I did before... I realize how much you get done without one ...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #24
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Actually we had to do it. Saturday before the Superbowl (that's how I remem ber the date) our cable went out. No TV, no computer for FOUR, count'em, FOUR days. It was a couple of blocks in our subdivison. I would imagine there were a lot of ruined parties that Sunday. Talk about a boring weekend, but I did get a lot of knitting in.

This past Sunday, yesterday, I got up, turned on the TV and we were getting the same problem. Fortunately, they fixed it within a couple of hours.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #25
iza
Turning the Heel

In vacation, I often don't have access to a computer and it's TOTALLY fine. I'm a scientist doing "computer vision", so I work on a computer all the time. But even at work, I could take a day to read the 150974698165 papers I printed with the strong intention to read them. Or read all the books in my field that I never had time to read. Or do some math I need for my research with a pen and paper. I could probably do this for a week and still get a lot of work done! Often the computer is a way not to do your work I find. You look busy, but it doesn't mean you actually are. There's a big illusion there in my opinion... Of course it depends on the type of work you do.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #26
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Yes, but only if I'm away from home for the whole day...or week. I don't have a laptop yet. Fortunately, some hotels have one available in the lobby for guests, but I find that I really can do without for short periods of time when necessary. Don't want to use a public computer for bill paying or anything else sensitive like that. I did peek at KH during a stay in Kingsland, GA. That was about all.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #27
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

BTW, I could do without my telephone for a week or so, but really miss my computer when it's not handy.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #28
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

I end up going without mine for a day or more all the time. Generally, life happens (what do you mean it's 10:30p.m.?! Already? and I have to get up at 4!), and it's the first thing to go.
LadyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #29
earthchick
Turning the Heel

I'm absolutely totally freakin' addicted (like to the point that if I get up in the middle of the night to see about one of my children or to use the bathroom, I will briefly contemplate checking my computer, but I usually make myself not do it). But I can definitely do without the computer for a day (and, in fact, will do without it on the 24th - shutdown day - because I will be out of town on a retreat at a place without any internet access; actually I'll be there several days). I can only do without a computer, though, if it's not physically available. I'm not very good at making myself not use it if it's right there in my office or in my house.

My husband told me about a New Yorker cartoon where the woman says, "I'm giving up Google for Lent." I was like Dude. No way.

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #30
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
How did people solve arguments before Google?

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote