View Poll Results: Could you survive a day without a computer?
Yes 45 64.29%
No 9 12.86%
Depends on what day of the week... 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #31
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I'm just old enough that by the time we got a home computer in the early 80s (around 8th grade), I saw it as something more intimidating than utilitarian. Unfortunate, but true. I think if I had been a little younger, I would've been much less computer-phobic, but oh well, what can I do? Make a time machine? (Not likely -- I don't know anything about building computers or even writing code!) I feel bad that I never bothered to understand how they work, but thankfully (and also to my detriment), being able to use a few software applications has been enough for me to get by.

Like many others, I've become completely dependent on computers for my job, and to a large extent, for leisure. In fact, if it weren't my trusty mac and the interwebs (you know -- that "series of tubes"), I would never have learned to knit. I also probably would have never met DH. Such is the depth of my indebtedness.

Could I live without it for 24 hours? Sure. But would I want to? No. I'm constantly looking stuff up... of course, this begs the question -- how many of you "older folks" have wondered how much more knowledgable and well-rounded you'd be now if you had the internet while growing up? I think about it way more often than I'd like to admit. You young people are sooooo lucky.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #32
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
So I got to work today and my computer wouldn't boot up for about 90 minutes. I spent the time looking through my stitch n bitch calendar and constantly trying to restart it. (One of the women had been her since 7am and finally was able to get on at 10ish) There was NO work i could do since all my contacts are on my computer and all my applications. we have no work that we can do at all without the computers. i didn't even turn my phone on until it was working again.

(btw... our tech people said they would e-mail when it was working. brainiacs!)

If i had known i would have just stayed in bed until i heard it was working. i only got 3 hours sleep last night!

btw... i do sleep with my computer...lol

and i still say i could live without out it easily at home.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #33
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
There's only one thing I can do at work without my computer, and that's photocopying.

Originally Posted by brendajos
(btw... our tech people said they would e-mail when it was working. brainiacs!)

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #34
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
A few weeks ago, we lost power at our school for a couple of hours. Because my job is maintaining the computers, there wasn't one thing I could do.

I begged to go home. Everyone just laughed. I think I wound up doing some reading for my college classes.

What an eye-opener, though!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #35
Birdy
1st Leg of the Journey

I could survive okay without a computer. In fact the place would likely be better if I didn't have one.

But living where I do... I'd likely go insane without the "company." These days people aren't around to talk on the phone. And they don't talk on the cell phone either.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #36
aethra
Ribbing the Cuff

Last Friday, I would have said no, but on Saturday I spent the day at a car rally then at my sister's, who just moved and doesn't yet have internet access. So, I'm apparently not as bad as I thought. Woo.

I grew up watching my mum program games onto the Spectrum ZX from magazine pages. And enjoying it. At 5 years old. Some of us are just born geeks...
aethra is offline   Reply With Quote