Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Annyka
Ribbing the Cuff

Malabrigo Heresy? First LYS visits
So I went to the second of two LYS today (the first visit was on Saturday), and this shop had some Malabrigo....

I have to say I don't quite get it?

It was soft, but not near as soft as some of the other options (and Manos del Uruguay didn't thrill me either). I'm actually glad I waited to feel it in person before ordering online.

Saturday I bought 4 balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which I found much softer, and am making the Column of Leaves scarf with it. The store was Knit Picky in Winston-Salem, NC -- and they were amazingly nice and helpful.

At this second LYS (Knit One, Smock Too), I was pretty much ignored, even when fondling the $22 hanks of hand-dyed yarn. I ended up buying one hank of the Mountain Colors "Barefoot" in the Evergreen colorway for a pair of ankle socks. (60% superwash wool, 25% mohair, 15% nylon).

Neither store had Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb or Artyarns Regal Silk, two yarns used for projects I'm considering (Big Girl Knits - Bombshell, and Annie Modesitt's corset tank (shortsleeve version)), and looking to either blow the credit card on the yarn, or find a good substitute.
Annyka is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Ariane100
Ribbing the Cuff

I must be a heretic too, because I agree, it's not as soft as I was thinking after reading all the mmmmm comments. Maybe you have to knit with it to fully appreciate the softness?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
zkimom
Working the Gusset

The obsession with Mmmmmalabrigo for me is this:

1. It is the softest 100% wool I have found

and

2. The colors are scrumptious.

I also love it because you get great yardage for the price -- twice as much as the Manos. (at least for the worsted weight.)

Mano is also 100% wool and the colors are fabulous but it is nowhere as soft as the Malabrigo.

By fondling some DB Cashmerino and then some Malabrigo, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Cashmerino is a blend of wool and cashmere and it will always feel softer.

But Cashmerino doesn't come in the kinds of colors you can get with Malabrigo or Manos and that changes the look of the garment you are making.

You can get some very lovely hand dyed Cashmere like Lobsterpot but that is very pricey.

So for the money, if you want that hand dyed varigated look and a nice soft yarn to boot, Malabrigo is the way to go.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
It definitely isn't the softest I have felt. Misti Alpaca ranks higher in the softness category. I usually have to knit something in between a Misti project and a Malabrigo project so that i can learn to love malabrigo again.

But for me it is the same as mentioned above. the yardage is great, the colors are amazing (i am a color NUT), it is soft, and it is readily available to me (my LYS carries a LOT of it!)
Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Friskums

My first Mmmm experience was fantastic. But, the second one wasn't nearly as great. Also, the ones I've felt in the stores haven't seemed as nice as the stuff I got online.

BUT... once I washed it with some wool wash, it was glorious!

There might be too much ink left from dyeing which makes it seem not as soft. Once you get rid of that, it's like buttah.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
ooh and the two (manos and malabrigo) felt like nobody's business! I have a front load washer so felting tends to take a bit longer for me. These two felt like crazy...maybe two cycles through the machine rather than 5!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I've fondled the Malabrigo, but I haven't bought any yet. I have to say that I'm in love with Cascade 220, though. Very soft wool, lots of colors, felts really well, and and not so expensive! So I've been doing a lot of projects with that instead.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
It really is personal preference.

I've never even seen, much less touched, Malabrigo. One of these days. I have used Cascade 220 and it felts great, but I gotta say I'd never wear it next to my skin.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Friskums

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
It really is personal preference.

I've never even seen, much less touched, Malabrigo. One of these days. I have used Cascade 220 and it felts great, but I gotta say I'd never wear it next to my skin.
I agree. I have one hank of Cascade 220 that I was going to use for my mom's clogs, but didn't. I haven't made anything with it yet, because it's so rough to me that I can't imagine what to use it for. Plus, I don't think i want to knit with it.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Friskums
I have one hank of Cascade 220 that I was going to use for my mom's clogs, but didn't. I haven't made anything with it yet, because it's so rough to me that I can't imagine what to use it for. Plus, I don't think i want to knit with it.
It's not bad to knit with. Go for it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote