Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Yay!!! This will be FUN!

I started the blanket last night. I cast on 300 stitches with a variegated acrylic/wool blend yarn, similar to Wool-Ease or Plymouth Encore. It's called "Classic Worsted", and is one of the 200 skeins of yarn I received in that huge bag from the yarn lady I met.

I've already knit 6 rows, and it looks pretty good. I'm going to knit some more before I pass it on to Lissalue for her added rows. We will also try to get Lestrella and Bear to add a few rows before we mail it out.

I'm thinking that we can have fun with this thing, adding small token gifts for the next person on the list if we want. (Don't add perishable food items or liquids, because they could soil the blanket.)

I'm also adding a small notebook, so we can each write a little note about ourselves, with a description of the rows we knit. (You can tape small photos inside if you want.) I could give the notebook along with the blanket to the charity we are presenting it to, or if you prefer, I can keep the notebook for our memories. We'll decide as time goes by. Either way, I will post photos of the pages here when the blanket is complete.

You are welcome to use any design you want, just be sure to end with a row of ALL KNIT STITCHES. That way, it will be easy for beginning knitters to knit their rows. I would hate for someone to get confused by yarn-overs, and end up confused and upset.

We need to try to make the afghan stay even from beginning to end. You should start your knitting session by counting the stitches on the needles to make sure there are 300 before you start. If there are more or less than 300, just do an increase or decrease near the center of the blanket to make it right.

I will already have point protectors on the ends of the needles to keep it safe during shipment, so don't forget to put them back on when you're ready to mail it to the next person!

THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING IN OUR NEW CHARITY PROJECT!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Can I play???

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
How will be know who to send it to next? Do you have a list with addresses to pack with the blanket?

Like this sorta...

1. Shandeh
123 flower st
anytown, usa

2. Jan Lewis
456 tree st
anothertown, usa

3. Hamalee
789 farm st
yetanothertown, usa

etc..... Or if people prefer we can email or pm you for the next person on this list. I know not everyone likes to have their address known to all.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Of COURSE, HamaLee - We can ALL play!!!

Jan, I was thinking about that. I will go ahead and start a spreadsheet, and you can all send me a PM with your mailing addresses.

(I'm guessing that more people will be joining as time goes by, so the list will get longer and longer.)

I will send the blanket to whoever wants it next, then we will decide together who the next knitter will be. I think it will actually be a simple process, because the blanket will only go to one person at a time.

And you're right Jan. Some people will not want their addresses on a list. So, I'll just keep the list here and give out the addresses one at a time as needed.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by Shandeh
Of COURSE, HamaLee - We can ALL play!!!
Yay!

I know our gears are just beginning to grind on this, but as the list of participants grows we (and by "we" I mean Shandeh ) can try to coordinate who's next to receive based on the blanket's current location and the closest destination.

For example:
1.Blankie is in North Carolina right now

and
Hamalee (in Massachusetts)
Jan (in Cali)
FloopyDoopy (in Virginia)

are on the list to receive...regardless of sign up order, it can go to FloopyDoopy next since she's closest (provided she's ready for it). That way we cut down on time spent in transit and shipping costs.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Good plan, HamaLee!

I have a feeling that it will end up crossing the continent a few times before it's finished. Maybe it will even visit another country!

For that reason alone, I guess it's good that we're making it with washable yarn. It will probably need a good wash before I give it to charity.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Good idea to mail to the next closest person. So you need a list of names first. PM'ing you..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I'm in! I'll PM you my address later today. Thanks again for coordinating this!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
jeanius80
Instepping Out

this sounds like fun ... can't wait ( i pm'd you too) whoo hoo my first kal
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

This is a fantastic idea! I am so in!

P.S. We need a KAL button!! I'd make it, but I suck at those kinda things.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote