Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #811
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I've added our blanket in my projects in Ravelry.
Check it out if you're a member!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Shan...pghans--shawls
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #812
Lucy Fan
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm just wondering what has happened to this blanket since the last post. Is it finished yet?
Lucy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #813
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by Lucy Fan View Post
I'm just wondering what has happened to this blanket since the last post. Is it finished yet?
Hi Lucy!

It's not finished yet, but I am concentrating on finishing up ALL our Oddball Blankets this year!

Right now, I'm working on Oddball Lapghan #1, which needs a lot of work before it can be completed. I've completed the knitting on Oddball Lapghan #2, and will be doing the border on it soon. The lapghans are going to a rape crisis center in North Carolina.

My plan is to finish the large blankets (including #1) before cold weather comes in the fall. Wish me luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
gmmarton (04-08-2009), HollyP (04-08-2009), Secksiebrat (04-09-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #814
Lucy Fan
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you for letting me know. I'm not really an active member here anymore, but I come in every once in awhile to check on the blanket. I was afraid I had missed something. Good luck getting all of your blankets complete. It sounds like a large project.
Lucy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #815
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by Lucy Fan View Post
Thank you for letting me know. I'm not really an active member here anymore, but I come in every once in awhile to check on the blanket. I was afraid I had missed something. Good luck getting all of your blankets complete. It sounds like a large project.
You're welcome!
And you're right about it being a large project. Whew!
Those blankets are SOOOO big! That's why they couldn't be sent through the mail anymore. The postage was just getting unreasonable.

I'm trying to start a local charity knitting group in my area. I think I'll bring the blankets along to those, so people can knit a row or two while they are there. Every little bit will help.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #816
HollyP
Working the Gusset

That's a great idea Sandy! I hope it works out for you!!
I was just looking at this thread and it amazes me how this is the blanket that started it all.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #817
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanks for the good wishes, Holly!

Yeah...it's neat reading the first post of this discussion. Back in February of 2007, it was just an idea for ONE blanket.

Our project has grown to include 5 fullsize blankets, 3 lapghans, more than 20 shawls, hundreds of baby blankets, and now we're making pet snuggles too!

And there are knitters involved all over the United States and Canada. Way cool

And I've also found several copycat groups all over Ravelry. I think it's wonderful to see how much fun everyone is having knitting for charity.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #818
racjen
Casting On

hey can someonw messeage me if you ever start another one or theres one going around thanks
racjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #819
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by racjen View Post
hey can someonw messeage me if you ever start another one or theres one going around thanks
Hi racjen!
We are still working on one lapghan, but it's full of knitters.

You might want to participate in the Oddball Baby Blankets. They are much quicker to work on, and go to a great cause.

You'll find all the different regions for the baby blanket knit-alongs in the Charity Knitting section of the forum. Just look at the group that is in your part of the country.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #820
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Attention everyone!

Last night, I FINALLY finished knitting the last section of Oddball Blanket #1, the blanket that started our Oddball Knitting project!

I felt tingles and chills all over as I was binding off the last stitch. I can't believe that after 5 years, our blanket is finally complete!
Of course, it could have been finished a lot sooner, but life got in the way of my knitting to complete the last few sections.

Now, I just have to weave in all the loose ends of yarn. Then, I'll check the whole blanket for any holes or other problems. Next, it will be gently washed and dried. Then, I'll donate the blanket to charity.

I'm thinking of taking it to Habitat for Humanity, to see if they are interested in it. I don't want it to just be sold in their store. I want it to be given to a family who is moving into one of their homes.

If they can't do that, I'll mail the blanket to the Yurok tribe in California. They really appreciated our Blanket #5. The other option is to give it to Project Linus, for a teenager to use.

Any input from the rest of you, on where it should be donated?