Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Brendab
Casting On

Basic Roll Brim Hat Instructions Question
Hi, I am teaching myself to knit and have graduated to circular knitting and using dpns, because of the useful streaming videos from this heaven-sent web site.

I have followed the directions successfully for the basic rolled brimmed hat and transferred the work to THREE dpns (decreasing now). I am ready to start Round 11: *K2tog, knit 3* to end of round.

Question 1. Based on the info above, what is a round considered to be when using dpns? Is it knitting off each individual needle or is it using all three needles?

Next, further down per the instructions, by Round 16 I should have 16 stitches left on "your" needle.

Question 2. Based on the info above, I am using three dpns, are the three dpns considered one needle? I do not understand how I end up with 16 stiches, when I initially divided up the stitches by 3 (divisible by 3) for the THREE dpns. I can understand 15 stitches or 12 stitches, but 16? How do you get 16 when using THREE dpns?

Last Question (3). Does www.knittinghelp.com sell a CD that demonstrates a basic roll brim hat, i.e., in particular, transferring work from circular needle to dpn to finishing?

Thank you!
Brenda
Brendab is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Re: Basic Roll Brim Hat Instructions Question
Originally Posted by Brendab
Question 1. Based on the info above, what is a round considered to be when using dpns? Is it knitting off each individual needle or is it using all three needles?
One round is all the way around to the beginning again. So yes, all three needles.
Quote:
Next, further down per the instructions, by Round 16 I should have 16 stitches left on "your" needle.

Question 2. Based on the info above, I am using three dpns, are the three dpns considered one needle? I do not understand how I end up with 16 stiches, when I initially divided up the stitches by 3 (divisible by 3) for the THREE dpns. I can understand 15 stitches or 12 stitches, but 16? How do you get 16 when using THREE dpns?
That sounds goofy. I'm not sure of their math, but you can move the stitches around the needles if necessary, too. Don't overthink it.
Quote:
Last Question (3). Does www.knittinghelp.com sell a CD that demonstrates a basic roll brim hat, i.e., in particular, transferring work from circular needle to dpn to finishing?
I don't think there is a CD that has a hat on it, but I could be wrong. Check the tabs above to be sure. As for transferring stitches from a circ to DPNs, just start knitting with the DPN and change them as you go around so you end up with 3 needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Brendab
Casting On

Hi Jan,
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it very much.

When you say,

"...but you can move the stitches around the needles if necessary, too. Don't overthink it."

Does that (the above) mean that if I am working on dpns I should treat the stitches (which now are divided up onto three needles) exactly like I would if I were working the circular needle. More clarification:

If I am using THREE dpns and say I am doing a *K2tog knit 6* to end of round - and I am decreasing and knitting on first dpn and when I get to the point where I am supposed to knit #6 st* and I run out of stitches on first dpn, then I move to the second dpn to complete the *k2tog knit 6* ? Is that correct? So I can borrow a stitch from another needle (for a k2tog) if I need to do so?

Thank you,
Brenda
Old 02-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Yes that's right, if the stitches you want to knit together are on two different needles, you can just move one. I would put the next stitch (on nearly-empty needle) onto the full needle. You can arrange the stitches however you want between needles, though it's best to have about equal numbers on each needle to get a fairly even triangle/square etc.

Socks are an exception, you will often see a pattern call for half the sock stitches on one needle and one quarter on the each of the other two needles, but I find this awkward and often rearrange them, at least for part of the knitting.

Sometimes a pattern will recommend the numbers of stitches on each needle because they have worked out how to make the decreases happen with the minimum number of rearrangements between needles.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Brendab
Casting On

Basic Rolled Brim Hat Questions
Thank you so much Jan and Sarah - this makes sense now!