Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
It takes practice I think. I just started finger weight on size 1 needles...think of me when you get tired of your sportweight and size 4s!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I don't want to seem overly negative, but I suggest that you two consider saving the cotton yarn for another project and buying new yarn for socks. Not only is 100% cotton a pain to knit with, but it is just not the best fiber choice for making something like socks, where you want a snug fit. (I don't know about you folks, but my experience with 100% cotton socks as that they get stretched out and baggy, becoming unsightly and uncomfortable rather quickly.) There are some mostly cotton yarns with a bit of lycra, as well some cotton-blend socks yarns that might work better functionally, and that would also be easier to knit. Merino wool is also non-itchy. (If you're looking at non-sock yarns, look for ones which are tightly spun to help with wear... also make sure they are superwash, if you intend to throw them in the washing machine.)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Hi Mason,
Yup I love using the sock weight yarns. I think it is because I stated crocheting doilies a long while back. Love using the thread and real small steel needles. So when I started knitting socks I just started with the sock yarns.
It will start to get easier as you get use to the needles. I don't think I would like to use cotton yarn, to stiff maybe. So keep knitting those socks and you will enjoy learning to use the smaller needles.

Teri

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

Mason - What pattern are you using for your second socks?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
KathyinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I'm still following Silver's Class for the second sock. Once I have that down to where I don't need to refer back to it, I'm going to try some different patterns.

Now that I've knit several rounds with this stuff, it's not so bad. It was tricky getting started with it, but now I kinda like it.

If it turns out the socks aren't wearable due to the cotton, no biggie. It's mostly for the practice anyway.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #16
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kristinw
Yeah, silly me chose a fingering weight (KP Essential) with size 2 DPNs for my first socks! What the heck was I thinking!!? It is quite challenging.
I'm working on my first sock right now, and I started with a cotton blend on size 1s!!! Admittedly, it turned out too small for me (would probably fit a 6 yr old), but it was still really hard. My fingers are killing me.
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote