Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

ribbing improved
I just found this. Has anyone tryed it?
IMPROVED RIBBING IN THE ROUND 2 things, first, i don't know if this is anywhere near correct, but it occurred to me that the clockwise wrap twists the stitch, hence the TBL being necessary the following row/rnd, so P'ing TBL AND clockwise wrap would basically be twisting twice or twisting and untwisting, not sure which. thus, since posting last, trying the clockwise wrap one round, then just the TBL the next round without the clockwise wrap, then the following rnd, the clockwise wrap again and it is working BEAUTIFULLY. nicest ribbing i've had EVER, round or flat. thanks bunches

Is it correct? I am just starting another sweater in the round and I thought I would try it but I don't want to cast on 250 sts and do a inch or two and have to do it over. Since I just did my share of taking a sweater back latley.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've never seen a tutorial for improved ribbing in the round, just this one for flat knitting which works great. I'll have to give that a try though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Many knitters find that purling in the opposite direction creates more even ribbing (as well as stockinette, if you happen to be working flat). This is why combined knitters are reputed to have such even tension. As long as you can "read" your knitting, you should have no trouble using this concept with english knitting as well. Whenever you purl in the opposite direction, you create a twisted stitch -- when you happen to encounter it on the next row (whether it is a knit or purl, and regardless of whether you plan to knit or purl the stitch), you should be able to recognize it as twisted (because it will be seated differently), and you'll know to work it through the back loop to correct it. There's no telling whether it'll improve your ribbing, but it seems to work for a good number of people.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Many knitters find that purling in the opposite direction creates more even ribbing (as well as stockinette, if you happen to be working flat). This is why combined knitters are reputed to have such even tension. As long as you can "read" your knitting, you should have no trouble using this concept with english knitting as well. Whenever you purl in the opposite direction, you create a twisted stitch -- when you happen to encounter it on the next row (whether it is a knit or purl, and regardless of whether you plan to knit or purl the stitch), you should be able to recognize it as twisted (because it will be seated differently), and you'll know to work it through the back loop to correct it. There's no telling whether it'll improve your ribbing, but it seems to work for a good number of people.
I understand this but my question is when you get to that twisted stitch and you knit into the back of it, do you wrap it the regular way OR clockwise. Because from what the one person was saying but was not sure if you wrap it clockwise into the back are you not twisting it twice?
I guess I just want to know when i come to that twisted stitch which way am I wrapping it?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

If you encounter a twisted stitch and knit into the back of it I'd say to wrap the correct way.

BTW... does the ribbing look any different when doing your method?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

improved ribbing
I don't know if it looks different because I have not tried it yet. I am going to start another sweater and I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly so that I don't have to frog it. I think it looks the same only neater, they say. I guess I will try it and see. So if it is twisted I will knit or purl into the back and wrap it counterclockwise and if it is not twisted I will wrap it clockwise. I have another question. Since I am doing K1, P2 would I do the two purls the same or only the first purl?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Oh I see. Did you see this somewhere or make it up?

Good question as to which purls to do it in..I'd say the first for sure..

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You would do both purls of your 2x2 rib the same way. Since you are doing ribbing in the round, you will be working the stitches as they lay -- knits will be knits and purls will be purls. Because of this, your knits will all be regular knits stitches with no changes. Only the purls will be different: For the first round, you'll be purling clockwise through the front leg. In subsequent rounds, the purls you created in previous rows will be twisted, so you need to work them through the back leg, while continuing to do them clockwise.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters further, but keep in mind that you can use this technique with any combination of knits and purls, not just ribbing and stockinette. You just need to pay attention to the way the stitches are seated so you can correct any twisted stitches. For example, with flat ribbing, you'd be knitting the purls and purling the knits of your previous round. This means that the stitches you intend to knit into will be twisted (since they were purls in the previous round), while the ones you intend to purl into, won't (since they were knit normally). This means that you'd end up working all the knits through the back loop and all the purls through the front loop, while maintaining the clockwise wrap on the purls. It really sounds more complicated than it is because all you need to remember is this: always purl clockwise, and whenever you see a twisted stitch, work it through the back loop.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
candy
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Oh I see. Did you see this somewhere or make it up?

Good question as to which purls to do it in..I'd say the first for sure..
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...of_braggi.html
THis is the site I found it on. Hope it helps. And this is a quote I just found lower down on the screen. So, if I go by this one row I would wrap clockwise and the next I would knit into the back and wrap counterclockwise. What do you think?
already. 2 things, first, i don't know if this is anywhere near correct, but it occurred to me that the clockwise wrap twists the stitch, hence the TBL being necessary the following row/rnd, so P'ing TBL AND clockwise wrap would basically be twisting twice or twisting and untwisting, not sure which. thus, since posting last, trying the clockwise wrap one round, then just the TBL the next round without the clockwise wrap, then the following rnd, the clockwise wrap again and it is working BEAUTIFULLY. nicest ribbing i've had EVER, round or flat. thanks bunches!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

That's the link I posted. Her's was flat though... Now that I think about it you don't really encounter the stitch again in the same way (back side) so ...??

I will play with it though and see what happens.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~