Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
meg02908
Casting On

Working both sides at the same time?
Hi,

I'm a very new knitter and I'm about to begin my first significant project--a sweater. I have been reading over the pattern that I'll be using and it all seems to make sense except for one thing--in the neck shaping section, I am instructed as follows:

"Join second ball of yarn...working both sides at the same time with separate balls of yarn, dec 1 st in from each neck edge every other row..."

I'm confused on the 'working both sides at the same time with separate balls of yarn' bit. Does this mean that I just work the two balls of yarn simultaneously as I would if I was knitting with two different yarns at the same time (like for a 2-color scarf)? Or does this mean that I would work one ball with one stitch, then another ball with another stitch? Or does it mean something that I can't even fathom?

I have searched the web and can't seem to find any good explanations for what this means, and I am officially stumped. I would REALLY appreciate any guidance anyone could give me!

Thanks so much!!

Meg
meg02908 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
It means to work one side of the neck with your working yarn, and work the other side of the neck - on the other side of the separation - with the new ball of yarn.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
meg02908
Casting On

Thank you--that explanation makes it easier for me to picture how it will work. I appreciate your help!
meg02908 is offline   Reply With Quote