Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
jyotimagic
Casting On

Felted Clogs are getting me down!
I've just come back to knitting after a 20 year break. Decided to try to FT felted clog pattern, as I used to have a (shop-bought) pair of these that were great. However, the pattern is getting the better of me, and it's my first time on circular needles too. After several ripping back sessions, I decided to look for some help here.

I think I'm going wrong on the w&t. I get the shape, but my work ends up holey and I'm not getting the right number of stitches. The instructions for the w&t looked straightforward, and I followed them to a T. Then I looked at the instruction video on this site, which showed turning the work before wrapping the stitch. I also didn't get from the pattern about putting the needle through the wrap plus the stitch, which I guess makes a big difference. Can anyone explain this technique to me in simple terms?

I'm also having a hard time counting my stitches when I lose track of where I am. I guess I can't recognize the "landmarks" in this new pattern. I've just come from knitting socks on size 2 dpns, which were a breeze compared with this. However, I really, really want to do these clogs. Can someone point me in the right direction? Since this thread is so big, my questions may have been answered already, but I don't want to spend hours sitting here reading all the posts. I'd rather be knitting!
Help!

BTW, I'm working them in Cascade 220.
jyotimagic is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
I'm doing them in Cascade myself, right now.

I think you're confused because the wrap video on this site is not the same as what the pattern is asking you for--the pattern's more simple, and will produce a bigger hole, but I promise from experience that the hole felts right out. All you do is slip a stitch from the left needle to the right one, bring the working yarn forward, and slip the stitch back again. Then you turn and just start knitting.

I have a hard time recognizing where I am if I lose track on this one, too. I saw on the big FT clogs thread that several people were using post-it notes to stay on the right line or photocopying the pattern and crossing out each step as they did it. I was able to stay on track fairly well through my first pair, but I've been more distracted with the second and had to rip back a row occasionally. Sorry I don't have more ideas on that one.

Hope this helps!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Angelia

I use post-it notes, too. And when the sticky wears off, I hold them in place with a paperclip. Being able to keep your place on the pattern is a sanity saver.

It also takes knitting one pair for the pattern to make sense and for you to recognize where you are. On my first pair, I made mistakes all over the place (but they were for me, so I didn't care). I inadvertently knit left and right clogs. (It's actually cool, but how I did it is a mystery.)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

I use a dry erase marker to cross out the rows as I finish them it will wipe right off the plastic sleeve when you are done.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Originally Posted by blueeyes28
I use a dry erase marker to cross out the rows as I finish them it will wipe right off the plastic sleeve when you are done.
SMART!! I'm gonna try that!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote