Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

BUTTONBAND
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/vi..._id=21&lang=us

I am doing my button band and it says to sew the shoulders shut. I have only 5sts on the front and then the rest is the lace pattern. Am I suppose to sew the lace pattern to the back shoulders now before I do the buttonband? How do I do that?

How do you decide how many stitches to bind off for the buttonhole. I watched amy's video and I think I get how to do it but my pattern say to yo, K2tog. So should I only bind off two stitches for a one stitch BO. Am I suppose to get a button and hold it on the stitches to see how many stitches it takes up? Is that how you decide?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Always a good idea to have your buttons beforehand and do tests on extra yarn to check for buttonhole size. Your yarn/button, and your knitting tension (and gauge), may not be consistent with what the pattern recommends. Elims doing the testing on the actual garment.

cam
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The lace panels are part of the front right and left pieces, so they will be included in the shoulder seams. Use a mattress stitch to seam them to the back piece.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

buttonband
Thanks, I guess I better get my buttons first.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
candy
Turning the Heel

Buttonband
I was justing reading the pattern again to see how many rows wide the buttonband will be so I can buy some buttons. I don't quite get what I am suppose to do. I sewed the shoulders together and now I am going to pick up the stitches on the right front and then pu sts from the holder and half way to the back of the neck. Is that right? THen knit 2 rows seed st on third row make the buttonholes. Then knit one row seed st more. I don't get the next part. I put it in brackets. I am lost at this point.

Assembly:
Right collar: Pick up 58 sts on smaller needles along left neck edge and knit approx. 12 cm of Pattern 2 - see instructions above, put all sts on a st holder.
Left collar: knit the same as the right collar.
Sew shoulder seams.

Right button band and neckband: Pick up on smaller circular needles approx. 62-76 sts along right button band, then put 58 sts from right collar back on needles and pick up approx. 12 sts to center back = 132 -146 sts. Knit 2 rows seed st. On the next row make 5 buttonholes evenly distributed along button bands - the bottom should be approx. 1 cm from bottom edge and the top should be just before the collar starts. 1 buttonhole = K 2 tog, yo.
Knit 1 row seed st more(, then bind off sts around back of the neck and along the collar in seed st.
Continue with 3 rows seed st along button bands K 2 tog the 2 sts at the top of button bands every row so that there will be a smooth transition from neckband. After these 3 rows bind off the remaining sts in seed st.)
Left button band and neckband: Knit the same as the right, reversing all shaping and without buttonholes.
Sew in sleeves. Sew sleeve and side seams using edge sts as a seam allowance. Sew on buttons.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

***Pick up on smaller circular needles approx. 62-76 sts along right button band, then put 58 sts from right collar back on needles and pick up approx. 12 sts to center back = 132 -146 sts. Knit 2 rows seed st.***

2 rows

*** On the next row make 5 buttonholes evenly distributed along button bands - the bottom should be approx. 1 cm from bottom edge and the top should be just before the collar starts. 1 buttonhole = K 2 tog, yo. ***

1 row

***Knit 1 row seed st more (, then bind off sts around back of the neck and along the collar in seed st. ***

1 row

***Continue with 3 rows seed st along button bands K 2 tog the 2 sts at the top of button bands every row so that there will be a smooth transition from neckband. After these 3 rows bind off the remaining sts in seed st.) ***

3 rows, then bo. (Total of 7 on lower portion.) Don't see any brackets in your post but there are couple parentheses. The K2 tog? Appears the decs are made where the buttonband meets the angle of the front neckline. At this point you're only working the lower portion...where the buttons/buttonholes are. That's my take. I could be wrong.

HTH,

cam
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
candy
Turning the Heel

buttonband
thanks, I will give it a try
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
candy
Turning the Heel

pu sts for buttonband
I picked up the stitches along the right front of my cardigan and now I am suppose to pick up the 58 sts I have on the holder for the collar. then pick up 12sts along the back of the neck.

Do i just slide the 58sts onto the needle that I just picked up the sts from the right front or

do I insert my needle into the stitches on the holder and pick up a stitch as if I am knitting a stitch? If I just slide the stitches off on needle onto the other, how do I pick up the other 12sts at the neck because the working yarn is back at the stitches I picked up at the right front.

I hope you can understand what I am asking.

I have not done a band before so I am wondering why each side is working to the back of the neck. Why is it not done all at once. Starting at the right front going up and around the back of the neck and down the left front. Because each side is worked separate does that mean that I have to sew the two sides at the back of the neck? nAm I missing something?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

When you get to the 58sts, knit them onto the needle that has your working yarn, then when those are done your yarn will be in the right spot for picking up the 12 stitches at the back neck.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
candy
Turning the Heel

buttonband
thank you so much. I don't know why I thought that they should just be slipped onto the other needle. Wishfull thinking I guess.