Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

OT: Ireland
Out of curiousity since lately I have been in with the idea of visiting Ireland. Has anyone ever been there or does anyone live there for that matter? Is it as beautiful as it is in the pictures

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
zara
Ribbing the Cuff

I have been to Ireland. I went to Dublin so just got to see thin streets, hotels, pubs & pubs! What I liked most about it is the people. They are very friendly & have a good sence of humour. Would recomend it to anyone.
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

I'll be there May 17th.

My husband is Irish, and I lived with him in Co. Tyrone for about 7 months. We're moving back in early 2008.

Yes, it is just as beautiful as the pictures if you visit the right places. My three biggest recommendations are Wicklow, Kerry, and Donegal.

I love Ireland.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
IrishKnitter
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by feminine_earth
My three biggest recommendations are Wicklow, Kerry, and Donegal.
I'd have to agree! I went to Ireland a few years ago. I absolutely LOVED Donegal! Kerry was beautiful too...however, when we did the Ring of Kerry, it was cloudy and foggy, so we couldn't get the full effect.

I also really liked Galway, Dublin...heck, I liked it all!
IrishKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

*sigh* Ireland is my absolute number one international travel destination dream. *long sigh*

*long, pathetic, dramatic sigh*

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
marykz
Working the Gusset

Re: OT: Ireland
Originally Posted by *KnitPixie*
Out of curiousity since lately I have been in with the idea of visiting Ireland. Has anyone ever been there or does anyone live there for that matter? Is it as beautiful as it is in the pictures
It is wonderful. I went for a two week trip to the southwest parts of Ireland, drove all over the place in a tiny rental car. It was AMAZING. beautiful views, incredibly friendly people. Every tiny town had a tourist bureau that could help find B&B's for the night, suggest food, etc. We went in August so it wasn't too cold or rainy. We heard great music, saw beautiful churches, and sites, and had great beer.

Go for it!!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Silver
*sigh* Ireland is my absolute number one international travel destination dream. *long sigh*

*long, pathetic, dramatic sigh*
You should go!! Early spring and late summer/early fall are the best times to go, in my opinion. And the tickets are usually pretty reasonable around that time, as well.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Ireland is really really great. I only got a quick glimpse unfortunately, on my way to a theater festival in Scotland. I flew into Dublin, had the most amazing breakfast at a huge old restaurant, then took the train up to Belfast. I had no idea where I was going to stay. The cab driver took me to the tourist bureau and they sent me the sweetest B & B.

I just know I missed out on all the great places and have to go back with my husband this time (whose grandfather ran a funeral home there).
But it is the people that are the best. When I left my cab driver said, "God be with you." It was just such a wonderful thing to hear.

Besides that, go for the BEER!!!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Ireland is really really great. I only got a quick glimpse unfortunately, on my way to a theater festival in Scotland. I flew into Dublin, had the most amazing breakfast at a huge old restaurant, then took the train up to Belfast. I had no idea where I was going to stay. The cab driver took me to the tourist bureau and they sent me the sweetest B & B. I took a hovercraft over to Scotland then returned the same way and stayed at the same place.

I just know I missed out on all the great places and have to go back with my husband this time (whose grandfather owned a funeral home there).
But it is the people that are the best. I made friends at a pub with a lovely girl who ended up taking me for dinner and driving me home. When I left my cab driver said, "God be with you." It was just such a wonderful thing to hear.

Besides that, go for the BEER!!! Ummmm creamy delicious Guinness and Murphy's.....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I wouldn't go this time of year - it's bl**dy freezing at the minute (I work outdoors).
I would say avoid the really touristy places - they're the most expensive. Dublin isn't really representative of the rest of the island so if you do go there try and visit some other places too. Most of the countryside is great, the west is a little "wilder" looking, some places like Co. Wicklow are more "gardeny". I'd also say don't forget the North (and I'm not just saying that cos I live there) but many people overlook it and we've got some great sights too like the Giant's Causeway....
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote