Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
OT - Puppy Keeps Digging Under My Fence! UPDATE
Some of you may remember my dd adoptiong a puppy right before her knee surgery a few weeks ago.

Well, alas, this puppy is quite the digger. He has "escaped" to my very understanding neighbor's yard several times. Every time I cover one hole, he digs another a couple of feet away.

I've googled this topic and have a couple of things I am going to try, but I was wondering if any of you have successfully conquered this problem.

One thing that I found suggests putting the puppy's doo in each hole and covering it with dirt. The premise is that dogs don't like the smell of their own waste and won't dig further in this spot. However, I can just picture myself having to dig a "latrine" around the perimeter of my fence. YUCK!

He's a pretty smart little fellow and tends to learn quickly, so one of two things is going to happen:

1) He outsmarts me by continuing to dig in new spots
2) I outsmart him and WIN

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by auburnchick : 07-06-2007 at 05:46 PM.
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Do you walk him everyday? (Please don't take that as sounding accusatory.) I'm just curious. I'm sure if you don't walk him then that will help the situation. Not cure it, just help it a little bit.

I'm sorry, I don't have too much to offer here, other than it's in their nature?

Aren't they great!!!

Thank heaven's ours never had the desire to dig.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by bailsmom
Do you walk him everyday? (Please don't take that as sounding accusatory.) I'm just curious. I'm sure if you don't walk him then that will help the situation. Not cure it, just help it a little bit.

I'm sorry, I don't have too much to offer here, other than it's in their nature?

Aren't they great!!!

Thank heaven's ours never had the desire to dig.
No offense taken.

I read that dogs need to be exercised a lot. But I figured that since I have an older dog, they play really hard. I would think he is getting quite a bit of exercise. BUT, he does spend the day in a crate, although either my dh or I go home to let him stretch and pee every three or four hours. I only work six hours a day, so he's not in there too long. Still, I could see the need for exercise.

I really think he's either getting bored or can smell the dog next door and wants to play. They have a doggie door to their house and Pele (my puppy) goes in "unannounced."

Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Is he neutered? When we had a dog, once we got him fixed, he quit digging all together. It's a territory thing and "natural" males are very prone to exploring, especially if there's a female anywhere in the vicinity.

If you want to keep him natural, you can do a little clever landscaping... lay chicken wire on the ground around the perimeter of the fence. You can tack it down with dirt, but eventually the grass will grow up through it and hold it in place.

That poop in the holes never worked for me. He just found another spot to dig.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Silver
Is he neutered? When we had a dog, once we got him fixed, he quit digging all together. It's a territory thing and "natural" males are very prone to exploring, especially if there's a female anywhere in the vicinity.

If you want to keep him natural, you can do a little clever landscaping... lay chicken wire on the ground around the perimeter of the fence. You can tack it down with dirt, but eventually the grass will grow up through it and hold it in place.

That poop in the holes never worked for me. He just found another spot to dig.
He hasn't been neutered yet. He's about four months old. As soon as he's old enough, he will be, though.

I was really, really hoping to avoid doing chicken wire thing. Call me lazy. It just seems like soooo much work!

He only seems to be digging in spots that don't have grass. I thought about buying tufts of sod for these areas, but he'll probably dig right through them...not allowing them to "take."

Oh, and my other dog is a female (spayed).

Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Braden
Instepping Out

I think it is just in their nature.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Check the pet shop or your vet. They sell products like "NO!" for outdoor use. The dogs don't like the smell and won't dig wherever it's been sprayed.

Cayenne pepper has also been known to work but it might be expensive buying enough to cover your fence line.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I can't really offer any advice, but I can sympathize .

Our second family dog, a female Samoyed adopted from a shelter, took it upon herself to turn our entire yard into a crater park. We tried many of the things mentioned here and they all helped to some degree--but still, she was a hard worker and loathe to give up her pursuits.

When he's old enough (like as soon as he gets all his shots and neutered, I forget when that happens), long leashed walks will help. It's a much more structured exercise for him than playing with another dog (which is still great! especially for socialization). The long walks will help tucker him out and also introduce him to some discipline and whatnot. So all these things will probably help--but as others have said, looks like you've got a digger!

I can at least tell you there's probably relief somewhere on the horizon, our dog eventually grew out of digging on her own....when she was oh, 9 or 10 years old

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Oh gee, thanks. You're REAL encouraging!

I keep hoping that he'll get too big to fit under the fence, but I figure that the holes will probably just get bigger.

I may investigate putting in an invisible fence. We'll see how the dog doo piles work first.

Oh, and Hama, my dog likes yarn -- just like your's. I don't dare leave my stuff sitting around where he can get it.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by auburnchick
Oh gee, thanks. You're REAL encouraging!
Oh doggies...it's a good thing they're so stinkin' cute!

I happen to be very suspicious of mine at the moment. I have a feeling there's a surprise somewhere in the apartment because pup is currently engaging in his "guilty" behavior...meaning he's cuddling up behind me in the comfy chair and getting all snuggly like an

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote