Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
pattieroc
Ribbing the Cuff

circular needles curiosity
Hi, I am curious about something I have been reading on these posts, I have noticed that a lot of people say they use circular needles for everything and I am wondering ...if you are making mittens or a hat and the pattern calls for a certain size needle, do you just use the corresponding circular and knit the pattern like it says? or do you have to alter your patterns somehow?
I have a ton of straight needles , about 5 circular needles and a bunch of dpn"s want to edit and just keep what I really need or else switch to interchangable sets...advice please

thanks for all the help

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
michellebreton
1st Leg of the Journey

I almost exclusively use circular needles, but I am using them like straights. For instance, I am working on a sweater right now, and when I worked on the sleeve, I cast on the stitches exactly as called for in the patter. I didn't connect and work in the round, I just worked back and forth like I would if I was knitting on straights. For me, I like not having the extra unflexible length of straights. It always made knitting in my favorite rocking chair difficult.

Michelle
michellebreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If a pattern uses straights, I, too reach for my circs and knit as the pattern says.

I used straights for years, but discovered that I prefer using circs for everything. I haven't used a straight needle in a couple of years and gave away all my long ones to my son's girlfriend. Plus I never lose the 'other' needle in the couch or forget to take it with me. DPN's, however, are a different story.

You don't have to switch by any means, and many people still like their straights. It's just a personal preference.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Jeep_Girl
Instepping Out

I say that if you have a TON of needles and enjoy knitting with straights - keep them and don't worry about it. If you come across more projects that you want to do with circulars - then you might want to invest in them.

OTN: A sock which will get ripped soon, a scarf....
Jeep_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

You can knit anything... ANYTHING on circulars. Even small diameter circular knits like gloves and socks if you use the magic loop method, and you do not have to alter the pattern at all.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You can knit flat on circulars because they have two ends, think of those as two straight needles. You can knit in the round normally, or smaller diameters using Magic Loop, or two circulars.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

I'm knitting a baby blanket on circulars at the moment. I actually prefer circulars, but I don't use them often because it's hard to get a REALLY good set over here in NZ. I have yet to find a place in NZ that sells good quality circs. *sigh* I would use only circs if I knew I could get a really good set.

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Have you seen this? I don't know what the exchange rate is or if it is a big hassle to ship from Australia but maybe it is worth a try?