Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Mrs. Columbo

Short Tail vs Long Tail Cast On
I couldn't find another section on this ....

I've always used the long tail cast on and usually have a lot left over, or not enough to finish casting on the last three stitches ....

At our Knit Night I was shown how to do the short tail cast on ... it probably has other names but you do your slip knot then knit on your second stitch, put the needle in between the two, knit that and put it up and over onto your needle .... I like the edge finish of it.

It takes me about 2 minutes to cast on 100 st the regular way .... to cast on the same with this short tail takes me 15 mins ... does anyone else have this problem? Slippery metal needles don't help any either.

Toby

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
if i am understanding correctly, you are referring to the cable cast-on, where instead of knitting INTO the stitch and placing it back on the needle, you are going in between stitches. it's a good stretchy cast-on and I believe there is a video about it here. It is just a more time-consuming cast-on since you are knitting the stitches on, so I can't help with that part, but I can give you a tip from Knitty Gritty regarding the long-tail cast-on, which is my favorite.

Before casting on, wrap your yarn around the intended needle 10 times, not too loose, not too tight. That is approximately how much yarn you will need for 10 stitches. Holding that length of your yarn in your hand, you can then approximate how much yarn you will need for the long-tail, "folding" that length over say 10 times for 100 stitches. Make sense? Also, another tip from KG for when you run out of yarn, the long-tail appears and functions the same way as a purled-on cast-on, so if you run out of yarn before you have enough stitches, you can purl on more stitches, the same way you would knit on, only with the yarn in front and purling.

Hope this helps!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Yeah, it sounds like cable cast-on. Interesting that you consider it stretchy, Sean -- from what I've read (and from my own experience), it's a fairly firm and inelastic cast-on -- good for buttonholes and such. (It all depends on the knitter, I suppose.) I wouldn't use it for casting on a lot of stitches unless I needed a really sturdy edge. I generally reserve it for times when I need to cast on additional stitches in an already established piece -- like when making buttonholes. (It's also neater than long-tail in that situation since you don't need another length of yarn to do it.) The reason most people use long-tail most of the time because it works well for most applications, and is quick and easy. Stretchy too, if you do as Amy suggests, and work with a larger needle than what you plan to use in the rest of the piece. (I suppose you could use larger needles to make other cast-ons looser too, now that I think about it.)

ETA: I just did a little research, and there seems to be little agreement on whether or not this cast-on is stretchy. Yeas and nays both ways. I'm sure it depends a lot on how loosely you work.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think the cable cast on is definitely tighter than a long tail, and definitely takes longer to do. Knitted on is faster, but the CO stitches are looser and it's harder to knit into them.

Other ways to guesstimate the yarn you'll need for a long tail: half as many inches as stitches you need, so for 80 sts, you need 40 inches of tail. Or 3 and a half times your width - 20" = 70 inches of yarn tail.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Loolee
Ribbing the Cuff

I posted the other day on an easy way to do a cast on, especially if you have a bunch to CO. Here is the link. check it out. I think youll like it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=27665
Loolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Mrs. Columbo

Yes, I did see that, but I can't follow it at all!! If someone showed me I probably could but I do very badly with pictures as I can't see it 3D.

Toby
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mrs. Columbo
Yes, I did see that, but I can't follow it at all!! If someone showed me I probably could but I do very badly with pictures as I can't see it 3D.

Toby
She's just doing a regular long-tail cast-on, except she's using another ball of yarn (or the other end of the same ball) as her tail. This way she can be confident that she will never run out of tail. She'll have more ends to weave in later, but that's the trade-off one has to make. There's another description of the technique near the bottom of this page, and another explanation (by moi ) in the fourth post of this thread. Maybe reading slightly different explanations will help things click. (Note that we don't all put the two strands on the needle in the same way, though. It really doesn't matter how they get there.)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Loolee
I posted the other day on an easy way to do a cast on, especially if you have a bunch to CO. Here is the link. check it out. I think youll like it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=27665
I finally tried this method over the weekend and it rocks!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
KathyinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Here's some more cast on videos I find helpful.
http://www.knittingatnoon.com/demos.html

BTW..I find the cable cast on too tight for most things.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
jmp3775
1st Leg of the Journey

You can also measure 3x's the length of the piece for your long tail. And make sure that the you are working the tail on your thumb- it uses less yarn than if you had it on your index finger.
jmp3775 is offline   Reply With Quote