Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
madametj
Working the Gusset

thank you all for this information, i will certainly look into these organzations.

Sabrina, your link helped a lot! There are so many to chose from it is a little overwhelming, though. I think the deadline are past for many of these also. Caps to the Capital is close, and i think the Red Scarf Project is also :thinking:

I think what i might end up doing is giving my FOs to my mom to donate to the hospital where she works. she's in the nursery and i remember her saying that the babies feet are often so cold that they are blue, may i'll just go with some hats and socks for them (baby sock patterns anyone? )

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
letah75
Working the Gusset

I'm working with some kids (read "juvenile delinquents") teaching them how to knit. We are going to start making scarves for the local homeless shelter.

By the time we get them done it'll be summer, which can get about 115 degrees for weeks at a time, but hey, they can keep them til next winter right.

My kids are really excited about doing it, which is cool to see 'cause about the only thing they usually get excited about it who just went to juvie and why.

They also want to learn to knit benies, so we'll probably make some for them, and some for premies, or again the local homeless shelter.

Right now I've got three boys and a few more who want to join. One boy last week made the amazing discovery that knitting calms him down. He stated "If this keeps making me so sleepy when I do it, I might not have to take my ADD meds anymore." Funny, but I advised him not to stop his meds.

It's great to see kids who've spent significant time in juvenile hall, for pretty serious law offenses, and who are "hard" getting all excited about knitting for others.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 AM   #13
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

I knit for our local, keeping kids warm chapter.
It was set up for kids (up to 23 years old) that are homeless for various reasons, to ensure while they are out in the cold they have hats, scarves, mitts etc.
I also knit for our local hospitals nicu, as my daughter was born with a lung problem and one of the greatest things I remember about the time in there, was how the nurses used to dress her in the cutest little hats and booties to keep her warm and cozy. I only took one hat home and left the others for the next babies coming in. I also encourage my daughter (who is now 11) to knit for charity also. We try to live by the one for us, one for donation strategy.
We keep a small rubber maid container in our home that we put all the finished items in until we have enough to take with us to the destination.

Another one I support is the Dulaan project.

http://www.fireprojects.org/dulaan.htm

No matter how small every little bit is appreciated.
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

What a great idea. One of my daughters spent 6 1/2 weeks in a NICU and this would be a great way to do something for another baby who is ill. I just contacted the hospital where she was and hopefully someone will get back to me soon.

Stacy
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

I knit for http://thepreemieproject.com/ We knit ,crochet, or sew for premature infants and families in need of clothes, baby care items and support in general. You should check into its loads of fun and helps to get rid of unwanted stash and for a great cause too!

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by *KnitPixie*
I knit for http://thepreemieproject.com/ We knit ,crochet, or sew for premature infants and families in need of clothes, baby care items and support in general. You should check into its loads of fun and helps to get rid of unwanted stash and for a great cause too!
sound like a great organization. as i said earlier my mom works in the nursery so the items will be received quicker if i just give them to her to give away. they get new babies and plenty of preemies just abuot every day, so i don't really think i can make too much even for just that one hospital.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote