Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #31
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'm supposed to organize all this stuff?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #32
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I didn't read all the Posts...but wanted to add something before I go off to bed:

To all who save a lot of patterns in a folder on their computer:

Many are very afraid of what will happen to all their patterns IF their computer crashes!

TRUTH: It is not IF your computer crashes...it is WHEN your computer crashes!
All computers crash eventually, even new ones...and all computer wizards will tell you they get crashes, too! Nothing new...it just happens. Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.

Here is what I do to QUICKLY AND INSTANTLY back up any FOLDERS to which I make frequent changes: I have a "memory key" that plugs into a USB port. I can leave it in all the time...or put it in and take it out. Once it is in the port...I locate the FOLDER I want to back-up...with the cursor on the folder, right click...then chose SEND TO...then chose USB Memory. In a FLASH...the entire folder is saved on that little memory key. Even a 512 mb memory key hold tons of info...and they are very cheap right now...because all the 1-4 GB keys are now out.

For all of you who are very familiar with what I am talking about already...I applogize for the boring step-by-step directions. I did it for those who are not familiar with this great little gadget!!!

I think the reason folks neglect regular backups of their files and folders is because doing backups on the CD-RW is time consuming. LISTEN UP FOLKS! Get a memory key! It will save you WHEN (not IF) your computer crashes!

PS: once the data is saved on the memory key...if you do lose it on your computer...or just delete it from your computer...all you have to do to put it back onto your computer...Go to MY COMPUTER...locate the USB Memory icon...open it...and click on any folder or item that you want to send back to your computer. Just right click, Send to: My Documents...and voila...it is back on your computer. As a matter of fact...once a folder is saved on the memory key...I delete seldom used folders off my computer...and just rummage through them from the memory key when needed. This relieves time from Virus and Spyware scans...and perks up computer performance. Unclutters My Documents...etc.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #33
JamOKnit
Knitting the Flap

I am like NewAmy.....I print out the ones that I am really interested in and stash them in a 3-ring binder (or in the pockets if I forget to hole punch them). My binder is in the closet next to my stash.

When I am working on a pattern I place the page in a plastic sheet protector and carry it along with my work in my knitting bag.

I've also bookmarked a ton of great patterns and websites on my computer at work, which I need to dump onto a USB or something soon before they get lost in our building move in a few months...

I'm JamOKnit on Ravelry.
JamOKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #34
Silver
Instepping Out

I like a lot of others, I use a big fat 3 ring binder with dividers. And every pattern is in a page protector. It's all organized and purty because I'm kinda obsessive about my knitting patterns. I don't print every pattern I find, only the ones that I'm SURE I will knit eventually. Plus I have a lot of technique and info pages in my binder. This one's getting kinda full though, might be time for a Volume 2.

When I'm using a pattern, I keep it in the page protector. A new box of page protectors is cheaper than paper and ink cartridges.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos

Last edited by Silver : 05-23-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #35
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981
Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.
Umm...I've gone years withought having my comptuers crash. Yes, it happens, but you can't say for sure when it will happen or that it will happen within the year.

But yeah, Windows is unstable. That's why I love my Mac. But using Norton or McAfee means your computer is LESS likely to crash.

I'm not sure what a memory key is...is that like a USB Flash Drive (or memory stick)?

I personally recommended backing up your entire system onto an external hard-drive regularly--like once a month or once every couple of months, depending on how hard you use your computer.

If you have a PC, run anti-virus all the time. Run Ad-Aware and something like SpyBot at least once a week. Defrag every 6 months. Make sure you install Windows security updates. Clear your internet history and delete Temporary Internet Files regularly.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #36
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981
TRUTH: It is not IF your computer crashes...it is WHEN your computer crashes!
All computers crash eventually, even new ones...and all computer wizards will tell you they get crashes, too! Nothing new...it just happens. Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.
Agreed! I am a computer "wiz" and when friends' computers crash, they ask me to fix them. I just fixed a $1200 Notebook yesterday. (He owes me a day out on his boat for that one!) Anyway, I digress. ArtLady is dead on right when it comes to computer crashes. Yours WILL crash eventually. Even if you use all the security in the world, the fact is that hard drives do not last forever and one day they will fizzle out and die, taking all of your beloved knitting patterns with it.

I speak from experience. I'm a serious graphic artist and have lost all of my art not once, but twice which is far more devastating than losing a list of patterns. I now back up my important files every 3 months... like art, website work, and knitting stuff. Oh, and pix of hotties.

Silver's Sock Classes
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
puppyluv
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cawthraven
But yeah, Windows is unstable. That's why I love my Mac. But using Norton or McAfee means your computer is LESS likely to crash.
I love my Mac too! Haven't had a crash in...well I don't remember, 5 years?
I don't even have a printer hooked up to my laptop, so I just bookmark patterns I'd like to print. I save them to one of two folders:
1. Patterns I may need
2. Patterns I MUST KNIT!

And when I save the bookmark, I rename it with a desciption to give me a better idea of what it is, for instance "Noro scarf knit lengthwise".
Also, on the "must knit" patterns I bookmark, I usually follow the name with a series of exclamation points, which sounds stupid, but it's my way of describing how keyed up I am about the pattern!

So when I go to find a project to knit, the ones with the most !!!!!'s are the ones I check out first!
puppyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #38
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

Silver, your binder is awesome! I have the same binder, but I have not gotten around to making a table of contents. I do have all my patterns in plastic page protectors though.

Question: do you put each individual page (double sided) into its own page protector, or do you stuff all the pages of one pattern into one page protector? I'm doing the latter at the moment, but only because I can't afford a gazillion page protectors.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #39
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've never had a computer crash to the point of losing anything, but I know it's possible. Or it may never happen. The point is to use common sense.

I always print out ones I paid for and of course there are the random others. If my computer crashes the rest can be replaced, it would just be a pain to do.

I said before that I keep them in a binder, forgot to mention that I don't hole punch, I use sleeves that have the holes already in them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #40
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by feminine_earth
Silver, your binder is awesome! I have the same binder, but I have not gotten around to making a table of contents. I do have all my patterns in plastic page protectors though.

Question: do you put each individual page (double sided) into its own page protector, or do you stuff all the pages of one pattern into one page protector? I'm doing the latter at the moment, but only because I can't afford a gazillion page protectors.
I put all the pages into one sleeve with the first and second pages as the front and back. I just rearrange them as I'm working to keep them in the page protector. I can't afford a gazillion page protectors either, plus it would take up way too much room!

Silver's Sock Classes