Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
divagirl
Knitting the Flap

I'm so bored!
I have to rant for a mintue and only knitters will understand.......

I'm making the Pignoli bag from berrocco for my MIL - her bday party is in 2 weeks. Stockingette and reverse stockinette as far as the eye can see and I am bored out of my mind! The bag is enormous even when it's felted, I have 7 feet of strap to do. this feels like the neverending bag and b/c I have a time limit (and no money right now!) I really can't start anything else so I can take a break from the monotony. Grrrrrrrr! (I totally love the yarn though, it's the new one Peruvia.)
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I'm not an expert on felting, but couldn't you just use another stitch (something like seed stitch -- not a lacy one) and get pretty much the same end result? It may help break up the monotony.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
divagirl
Knitting the Flap

I thought about that. On the Berrocco site the pattern calls this a corragated stitch, with bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette 8 rows to each band. I pulled out my Lucy bag and the knit side doesn't look any different than the purl side so I'm wondering how much texture will be there when I do felt it. I have to admit that I didn't do a swatch - I know, bad girl! - so I don't know how it's going to look. Maybe the texture will show with this yarn. We'll find out. On the plus side, I can do this and not pay a lick of attention to the stitches themsleves, I can knit and purl in my sleep.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You know, I thought about that after I posted. If the pattern specifically calls for corrugated rib, it probably will make a difference in the end product. Might be subtle (depending on how much how much you felt it), but why would they tell you do that if it doesn't matter? Silly me. It also occurs to me now that you may just have posted in search of consolation rather than a "solution." If so, here's a hug: . You'll get through it!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Skater
Knitting the Flap

Sometimes you just have to think of the end product - how good it's going to look when done. That keeps me going a lot of times. Other times I have to set it down and do something quick and satisfying in between bouts with it.
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
divagirl
Knitting the Flap

to you too Jane! I know it's going to look awesome when it's finished, I'm looking forward to making one for myself, so eye on the prize it is. I'll have something else to switch off with wwhen i do mine though!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

You know... since it's going to be felted, mistakes aren't going to show, right?

This would be a good time to practice knitting in a different style... like Continental?

Or practice knitting without looking... This is a great trick for when you're watching a movie!

And if you make a teensy mistake, who's gonna know. And the frustration from trying to learn these new skills will surely keep you entertained, AND make you GLAD it's only stockingette!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote