Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

DPN'S
Hi all, still trying DPN's, this is my question: My neighbor just gave me a lesson, she casted on one needle, then from that needle, casted on each of the other needles.....She did not slide sts off to other needles. Is that method o.k. or do you absolutely have to slip off sts to other needles..... Really want to make socks, I am going to do Magic Loop and 2 circs to see what works best for me....Thanks Chele
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

If I'm reading your post correctly, you cast on to one needle, then the next, and so on, right? For example, if the pattern calls for 45 stitches, did you cast 15 on each of three needles? If so, that's fine. I've knitted several pairs of socks, and I never cast on all the stitches to the same needle and redistribute them. I think it's way easier to cast the stitches on to their intended needles.

DPNs will always be tricky for the first couple of rows. That's just the nature of them. But after 2-3 rows, the needles will stay put.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
five_six
Turning the Heel

Me too... I always cast on the stitches onto their individual needles. Who wants to bother with moving stitches around, blerrhh!

For me, I've found that Magic Loop is my preferred method for knitting small diameter in the round.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

Got it...but just let me re-phrase...She cast on let's say 30sts on one needle, then knit 10sts onto another needles, knit10sts on another needle...total 30 sts 3 needles, so I guess what she did was not exactly casting on...but knitting onto 2 other needles, then began with the triangle shape and started her pattern....So, this wouldn't really be casting on individually? Right? Is that an o.k,. method or does that create a problem with the "cast on edge" Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
five_six
Turning the Heel

well, hmmm, no you've confused me a little, cause if she 'cast on 30 stitches on 1 needle', then 'knit 10 sts on another needle, then 10 on another', then there would actually be a total of 50 sts in that scenario... so, ultimately she has to start with a CO amount, maybe you meant to say 10, then knit on 10... which cast on method do you use, and is it different to hers. There are numerous cast on methods, one of them is a knit on cast on. Once you have joined the cast on stitches (whichever method you use), then you start your 'knitting'...

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

I'll try again one needle has 30sts (cast on) from that needle she used needle#2 knitted 10sts on to that (from orignal 30 sts). Took needle#3 knitted 10 sts on to that one from the original cast on needle. Ended up with a triangle shape, 3 needles 10sts on each needle. Then began her pattern. Make sense?????
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
five_six
Turning the Heel

ahhh... now i see, that is absolutely weird!!! I don't really see a problem, only in that you would have to seam the little bit where the knitting (really, the knitting the first row it seems to me, so it would be higher once you got to the joining part and would also be left with a little nub i would think ) joins the first co stitch.

If I had to cast on 30 i simply grab needle 1 and co 10, put needle 2 right beside it (laying next to it), but with it's tip out a bit further and cast 10 onto this, then do the same with the third needle. Then just make sure it's not twisted and start knitting...

Haven't seen the way she did it before, maybe someone else here has...

Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
Brendab
Casting On

What length of DPN to use?
Hello, I have seen DPNs sold in lengths of 5", 7", 8", and 12". What are the 12" length DPNs used for, typically? Is the final product normally a handbag, totebag, something along those lines (when using 12" length DPNs) and thank you.
Brendab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I cast all of my stitches on one needle, sometimes using stitch markers for every 20 or so. That makes it easier when moving the stitches to the other needles. Dealing with the dpns is cumbersome enough. I think that for me, clumsy as I am, this works the best.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

If I've read your posts correctly, I think you're saying that, rather than cast on all your stitches to one needle, and then slip them to the other needles, your neighbor knits them onto the other needles.

If that is the case, then that works just as well as slipping the CO stitchs, or even casting them on to the different needles from the get go. Whatever you're more comfortable doing! I've done all three ways, and I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference, if I didn't already know!

Like Five_Six said though, your 'seam' (where the last needle meets up with the first needle) will be one round off, so all you'll need to do is take the CO tail when you're done, and just seam up those two stitches on the first row.

It's pretty hard to do knitting 'wrong', if the finished product looks similar to other methods!
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote