Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I know many people prefer to knit a row or two before joining in the round, they say it helps stop them from twisting the stitches, and they can sew up the join later with the tail. Either way works, you will develop a preference eventually. I prefer to cast all the stitches onto one needle and then slip them, I am fussy about evenness when casting on, I think the stitches will end up more even that way. Knitter's choice! Try it for yourself and see which you prefer.

The longer DPNs would be used for anything bigger. A bag would be a good example, possibly also for necklines of jumpers, anything much bigger than a sock (although you could do a neckline with, for example, 10 shorter DPNs).

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Re: DPN'S
Originally Posted by cheley
absolutely have to slip off sts to other needles....
You can do it any way that gives you the finished product you want. Some cast on to each needle as they go, some cast onto one needle and slip sts to the others. Some knit a couple rows, then slip and join. Whatever works for you and allows you to knit in the round. As long as the sts don't get twisted it's been done correctly.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Webigail
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by five_six
well, hmmm, no you've confused me a little, cause if she 'cast on 30 stitches on 1 needle', then 'knit 10 sts on another needle, then 10 on another', then there would actually be a total of 50 sts in that scenario... so, ultimately she has to start with a CO amount, maybe you meant to say 10, then knit on 10... which cast on method do you use, and is it different to hers. There are numerous cast on methods, one of them is a knit on cast on. Once you have joined the cast on stitches (whichever method you use), then you start your 'knitting'...
It sounds like she actually cast all of the stitches onto one needle and rather than slip them off, just knit the other stitches with the two other needles, but I could be wrong.