Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
jdee
Working the Gusset

OT: Goal Realized!!
This is way off topic, but I just wanted to share my excitement with someone. My husband and I live in a neighborhood where there are some stray cats. I love the cats, and I love having them here, but I also know that feral cats can multiply at an alarming rate, so we've been in the process of catching, and sending them with the Animal Protection League. This organization runs a low cost spay/neuter clinic, and they send a transport to our town about twice a month. Cats and dogs can be taken to the walmart parking lot, where thier van (The Critter Getter) is waiting to take them to the clinic, which is about 45 minutes away. There, they are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and brought back to Walmart the following day, where we pick them up, and bring them home. They stay in the pet carrier overnight for thier own protection, and then we release them the next day. This way, they can live out thier lives happy, desease free, and not add to the pet overpopulation.

I'm thrilled to be able to say that we were able to catch the last three today! I just had to share. My huband is at work, and I've nobody to tell, so I thought I'd tell all of you, my knittinghelp friends. Please, say a little prayer for them as they go to surgery tomorrow. I know they're only cats, but I love them dearly, and want them to all be ok, so they can come back home and be freed. It always makes me feel guilty when I capture them, but I'm always relieved when all goes well, and thier back home, healthier and happier than when they left.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
efsaturn
Ribbing the Cuff

That is so wonderful of you. You are doing a great job. But how do you know all the cats you catch are wild not just outdoor cats? I guess you can tell by attitude. My "Furry Murry" could never be mistaken for a feral cat. He is so sweet and will let anyone (just about pick him up) so sometimes I worry that someone will take him.

I love my cats very much too!
efsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

Re: OT: Goal Realized!!
Originally Posted by jdee
I know they're only cats
No, they're CATS ! I love cats too and I think you're doing a WONDERFUL thing for them. Even if you feel bad catching them, you are their angel.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
misha rf

What you've done is FANTASTIC!!!

The cats will get over it. And they'll be happier, too.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
jdee
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by efsaturn
But how do you know all the cats you catch are wild not just outdoor cats? I guess you can tell by attitude.
Yes, you can definately tell that they are wild. But I did speak to the neighors when I first moved here, and was told they were wild. Most were born out here before we finally found this low cost place. They have learned to trust me, and have become my indoor/outdoor cats, but the ones that were already adults are just too wild. I don't think they'll ever let me pet them. But at least they'll stop reproducing.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
misha rf

Originally Posted by jdee
But at least they'll stop reproducing.
And that is SO important!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

that is so great- what a wonderful thing you are doing for those cats and for your community. what a great mission! and what a bonus to find the low-cost place. Good work!!! I'll be thinking about those little ones in surgery today. best of luck- MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
figaro
Working the Gusset

I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing! My cat Hobbes came from a momma cat who was a dumped housecat. The momma cat was friendly so I fed her and made sure she had somewhere to sleep (and the babies) that was warm but her babies were, well they were little balls of hissy face! I was only able to catch one (Hobbes) and the others I called the local Humane Society (I checked with them to make sure they would not be killed) to pick up the rest. After taming the little wild Hobbes, she turned out to be my cat, she talks to me and follows me around and prefers me to everyone else in my house. And this was at least 20 years ago!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
jdee
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by figaro

I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing! My cat Hobbes came from a momma cat who was a dumped housecat. The momma cat was friendly so I fed her and made sure she had somewhere to sleep (and the babies) that was warm but her babies were, well they were little balls of hissy face! I was only able to catch one (Hobbes) and the others I called the local Humane Society (I checked with them to make sure they would not be killed) to pick up the rest. After taming the little wild Hobbes, she turned out to be my cat, she talks to me and follows me around and prefers me to everyone else in my house. And this was at least 20 years ago!
They probably found homes for the kittens. Kittens are easier to tame that adult ferals. It requires tons of patience, but it can be done. I live in a small town, and our local humane association isn't as well funded as some of the larger towns. Feral cats and kittens require a lot of patience and time, and the volunteers just don't have the resourses to work with them, so usually they are put to sleep at the shelter. That is why I decided to work with this colony myself. I fight an ongoing battle with depression, and emotionally, I couldn't handle working at the shelter. I have the deepest respect for people who can, but I just can't. I have a special place in my heart for the abandoned and homeless, and would want to save them all. I would either bring home hundreds of cats, or I'd be constantly crying because I couldn't. I see working with this neighborhood colony as a way for me to help animals, without putting myself through the mental anguish I'd no doubt esperience at the shelter.

Well, I don't know why I rambled on about that. Figaro ,I think you were right checking with the shelter first before taking the kittens in. Kittens are irresistable, and I'm sure they all found homes where they are now as happy as your Hobbes.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Tonid1980
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Tonid1980
Youre doing such a great thing! Bob Barker would be soooo proud...

and no no no..."theyre only cats"... no need to say that... With all the kind and caring people on here, im sure everyone understands why you would feel the way you do... cats are people too
Tonid1980 is offline   Reply With Quote