Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Can I Start Spinning With a Hand Held Spinner?
I don't spin, but I'm thinking about getting into it. My yarn store sells the manual (hand held) ones. I don't know what they're called.

Is that an OK way to start? Do you save money by doing it yourself? If so, about how much?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

You mean a spindle? Of course you can! :D

A lot of people hate them, and those people are very, very vocal about hating them, in my experience. I love them, and here's my take: if you are really determined, you can work through the frustration. Every new craft has that awful frustrating beginning, and if you can roll with it and keep going, you will catch on.

Personally I was very determined to spindle spin because I didn't see how there was any way that I could afford to purchase a wheel in the foreseeable future. So I knew if I was going to be a spinner, I was going to be a spindle spinner. (Of course the rest of my story is that I fell so in love with spinning that I raised the $$ to buy my wheel by spinning gobs and gobs of yarn...we're talking thousands of yards...and most of it was spindled!)

I don't know what your LYS carries...I'd recommend a spindle that weighs around 2oz. for a beginner though. Check out this board -- there are quite a few posts about tips for new spindle spinners. :D
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

I started on a drop spindle. It taught me enough to know I liked spinning, but I didn't like spinning on a drop spindle. So I bought a Babe Spinning Wheel and went from there.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Arielluria
Instepping Out

So where can I see some spindle prices? So I can get an idea for what I'm getting into
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Hi Lu,

I learned to spin on a wheel, then tried out spindles. You might want to look into a Turkish spindle, as these are easier to start out with than some other drop spindles. And you can carry your spinning along with you!

I have found that using a spindle is a great way to develop your control of the fiber and generate a more even yarn.

Landolphe

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Julie
Instepping Out

I have two Schacht Hi-Lo spindles and I them. They come in three weights -- 1.1oz, 2.2oz, and 3oz -- I think the middle one would be best for a beginner...they are only $16. :D

One of the cool things about them is that you can use them as either a top-whorl or bottom-whorl.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
shellebelle216
1st Leg of the Journey

I must say that I save no money by spinning because I buy lots and lots of fiber!!!!! I use a top whorl spindle. I would much rather a wheel but limited room and money doesn't allow it right now.
shellebelle216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
samm
Turning the Heel

I've spent the last week thinking about learning to do this, after visiting an alpaca farm near me. And now here you all are talking about it! I've learned a lot already about what to look for in a spindle. There's a lot of information on the internet, spindles for sale, and instructions. I really think I will give it a try, after reading here! Thanks for the encouragement! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I bought a homemade drop spindle today that was made using cd's and a dowel rod. I paid the lady $5 that had made it. I knew I could make it much cheaper than that, but I figured that was cheap enough, not to have to do it. :D

Even though the stuff I'm creating doesn't look like yarn yet, I know it works good because I watched the lady demonstrate on the one she sold me, and hers looked great.

Here are instructions for making one.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Leah22b
Knitting the Flap

After not spinning since I was 12 which was a long long time ago, I recently fell in love with some Burgandy & silver silk Marano roveing and just had to have it. I bought an Ashford drop spindel at the same time and I'm just loveing how it spins. It's soooo smooth and balanced.

I practiced on some less expensive wool first and was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	att2_997.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	38113