Old 03-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
glomper
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting vent re error when making up garment
Oh man, no matter how many times I check I seem to make some sort of silly error on most things when it comes to sewing the seams. This time I made a cardi type garment for my daughter in a funky fur yarn. It is long sleeved with a back and the left & right sides/fronts knitted seperatley. Anyway the first task was to knit the front pieces to the back at the shoulder. I looked and looked, checked and rechecked in case I had one on the wrong side by mistake (stocking stitch). Anyway I sewed those two seams then went back to it today and found I had somehow put one side on upside down or something. I thought I'd unpick my seam and resow it. Instead I seem to have unpicked the vertical edge somehow and not the seam I wanted to undo. Argh! Anyway I have given up and will probably go into my LYS and hope that one of the ladies there can help me. I'm afraid that if I have another go at undoing the seam that I will unravel all my knitting. Do any of you guys do things like that when making/sewing up?
glomper is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Aquaria
Knitting the Flap

Oh yes! I've had to do the same thing a lot, too

Don't worry, I think you'll do fine. Maybe you can use a different colour for the seamimg thread? So that you can see where your seam is more clearly? Here in this page there is a seaming method called Mattress Stitch used for side seam. I don't know if this will be helpful But the result looks really great, and it doesn't matter if your seaming thread is in a different colour because it won't show.

So... I hope this is helpful!
Michael Dulin
http://www.michaeldulin.com/
Steven Cravis
http://music.download.com/stevencrav...g=MDL_quickurl
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I always tie a piece of yarn to the right sides when I'm putting sweaters together because I have done the same thing. I do it when I'm knitting it so I don't forget.You could tie yarn on the top or bottom to remind you which is top or bottom.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
glomper
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks for the tips guys. I did think of using matress stitch but had trouble finding the bar between stitches because the yarn I had knitted with was so fluffy. That's why I used the same yarn to sew with. I thought I was being so careful too. I think I jinxed it by turning it over to check too many times. I think I will do as suggested and put little loops of a different coloured yarn to indicate the right/wrong top/bottom sides next time.
glomper is offline   Reply With Quote