Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Combined Knitting is Da Bomb Diggity!
I'm newly in love! I started combined purling on my most recent mostly-stockinette project and knitting through the back loop on the other side. I it!

Purling this way is much more comfortable for me and faster than traditional continental purling. And my knitting is much more uniform. Check it out!

My ribbing looks a lot neater than it usually does:

Here's the whole piece right side up:

And here's where the magic is...this is a close up of the purl side.

Look how even it is! No "rowing out"--which I usually have a big problem with. Yay!

I know combined knitting has its limits, but I'm loving it for stockinette. And so far, when increases or decreases are concerned, it's been pretty easy for me to adjust the either the decrease or re-orient the stitch before I work it. Woot!

Just thought I'd share

(Apologies for the poor detail in the pictures...my knitting obsession is driving me to save up for a much better digicam. Unfortunately that savings keeps turning into yarn stash! )

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Ali
Ribbing the Cuff

I am totally with you on combined purling... I just learned how to do continental knitting, and just naturally did combined, but didn't know why my stitches were backwards...then saw the combined video. I wanted to learn conti knitting because I am so slow. I am used to holding yarn with the left though because I have always crocheted.
Only I can't rib this way...which is one of the reasons I wanted to learn. If my knitting is slow, my ribbing is like a giant tortoise's speed...

And my conti purling (the normal way) is as slow as the english way. I can't wait to get into some stockinette with the combined method, but I have this garter stitch project to finish, and then my next thing has a sideways knitted ribbed band...

Is there a trick to ribbing the combined way? When I try it I get confused with the way the stitches look...I don't have any problems knitting through the back of the stitches when doing plain stockinette.

Do you know if there is video of combined ribbing? I could only see one for purling, knitting, stockinette.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

I didn't see any videos for ribbing, I just went for it. I did exactly the same as stockinette essentially--combined purl the purls, and knit through the back loop all the knits. It took a few rows for it to actually start looking like ribbing.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Ali
Ribbing the Cuff

Did the stitches look different on the needle? I found I couldn't as easily recognise when I was up to a purl or a knit, I was doing a 3 by 4 rib pattern, and kept stuffing it up. Perhaps I should practise 1 by 1 first?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

I didn't have too much trouble telling what was what, but I also kept a vague count going (since it was an easy 2x2 rib)...so if I questioned what I saw I'd just go with whatever my count said was next.

Maybe an even rib as practice would help. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Ali
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

That looks really great!
I started out knitting in the combined way, and didn't even realize it for a couple weeks because I am mainly self taught. For Stockinette, I really love combined knitting, it's so much faster for me!
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
i am a fairly new "convert" and also SO IN LOVE! I HATED ribbing until I learned combined! I got to meet Annie Modesitt this month too!!!!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by boyforpele13
i am a fairly new "convert" and also SO IN LOVE! I HATED ribbing until I learned combined! I got to meet Annie Modesitt this month too!!!!
You got to meet Annie Modesitt AND Berocco sent you a buttload of yarn to triple test an awesome pattern?? Boy...you're on somebody's good boy list

Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
five_six
Turning the Heel

How on earth do I get on that list too... let me know your secrets

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote