Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Knitting Portuguese Style????? What's that?!? (Video)
I found this Knitting Portuguese Style on YouTube. I've never heard of this style and the video is crummy, can someone explain it to me? I speak Portuguese and think that's what's being spoken in the background, and WISH I could make it out, but I can't! It looks intriguing though.

Are those crochet hooks she's using to knit? And she does her purls differently.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Arielluria
Instepping Out

JIC anyone else is interested, there are a few videos on Knitting Portuguese Style on YouTube. Wild!

Here are all of them

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

portugese knitting is a version of Eastern Knitting... (vs Western or european knitting)

Eastern knitting found in east (near and mid east, and parts of far east)

it moved from east to Spain and iberian pennisula, and from there to South america, and from spain/portugal to far east (parts of japan, china, philipeans)

in also moved north --and were cultures meet/clash, it gave rise to Eastern Uncrossed, (aka Combination or COMBO) knitting.

european knitting can be 'continetal" or English.

bottom line really is, there are many ways to knit. and many different tools. portugese knitting uses DPN's -(cause is almost always done in round, not flat) and the DPN's OFTEN but not always have hooks (crochet like hooks) on one end.

its often (but not always) worked in purl stitch (vs Knit stitch for european knitting in round)

once completed--it is virtually impossible to tell how the knitting was worked. (all knitting looks the same.. only the process of creating the fabric is different.

many (but again not all) eastern knitters "tension" the yarn by bringing it above the work (either round a button or pin at neckline, or by bringing it round the neck) and do not wrap it round their fingers/hands in any way.

and many 'make' stitches using their thumb, not index finger.

(i can do this, but i am not skillful at it, and don't work at becoming skillful--so i don't do it often)

there is another video, Knitting the Wong way--about eastern knitting as done in far east.. (that video is for sale)

some members of the knitting police will tell you "this is the CORRECT WAY TO KNIT" and then demonstrate the only style they know.

the CORRECT WAY TO KNIT is the way that gives you the desired outcome! there is NO ONE CORRECT WAY TO KNIT.

there is lots of info on Eastern and combo knitting on line.. you can read as much or as little as you want.

I am a combo knitter.. and never met anyone who knit like me, till i met a Sephardic Jewish woman--who knit eastern style!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I'm combination too, I just found out from this forum. I never knew there were SOOOOOOOO many ways to knit!!!!!!!!

I'm continental style, and I knit through the front loop, so someone told me that means I'm doing combination. I learned in Brazil, so I don't know if that's different than most Americans do it or whether it's quite common.

Thanks and I love your blog.

What was so different about this Sephardic Jewish woman's way to knit? I am intrigued by all these different methods!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
of troy
Turning the Heel

(many) sephardic jews where originally from spain (some are from asian countrys along mediterrian sea) and most knit easter or combo style, not european style.

i am a self taught knitter, and until i met Bella, i never knew anyone who knit like i did. World wide, eastern and/or combo knitting is very common, but in US/Canada/UK/ AU/NZ (english /european common culture places) european knitting is more common.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
There was already a post about this. Have a look-see here.

Closed Thread