Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
geminibroad
Casting On

new knitter has beginner pattern question
I am attempting the shimmer chevron scarf pattern on this site, but I'm not a very experienced knitter and am having a hard time understanding part of the instructions. When it tells me to increase by knitting in the back and front of the next knit, how do I do that exactly? I found instructions for increasing in the front, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Also, it says to repeat between the *'s, but that means I would increase twice in a row. Do I do that in the same stitch? Please help!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome!

For the increase, you can check out the video for kfb in the glossary, and reverse it, or do it as a kfb rather than a kbf. I doubt there'd be much difference.

The entire section between the *'s is repeated. There is the increase and a decrease in each section, so they balance each other off.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re: new knitter has beginner pattern question
Originally Posted by geminibroad
I am attempting the shimmer chevron scarf pattern on this site, but I'm not a very experienced knitter and am having a hard time understanding part of the instructions. When it tells me to increase by knitting in the back and front of the next knit, how do I do that exactly? I found instructions for increasing in the front, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Also, it says to repeat between the *'s, but that means I would increase twice in a row. Do I do that in the same stitch? Please help!
Alrighty, here's the instructions (mostly for me, so I can see them as I type):
Row 1: K2, *inc 1 by knitting in back and front of next K st, K4, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, K4, inc in back and front of next st*, repeat between *'s twice more, end with K2.
Row 2: K2, P39, K2

To knit into the front and back of the same stitch you will knit the stitch normally, then before slipping the original stitch off the left needle you will knit into the back of the same stitch. Now slip the original stitch off the left needle and you have increased 1 stitch.

It says to repeat between the *'s twice more, so that means that you will actually be working the stitches between the *'s THREE times total. As long as the number of increases equal the number of decreases, you will keep the same stitch count for the next row. I've put the increases in green and the decrease (which is actually a double decrease) in red. There are two stitches increased and two stitches decreased in each repeat of the * section.

Hope this helps.