Old 03-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
MrsBear87
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting for the Troops
Putting all politics aside regarding the war in Iraq, I think we all are united in our desire to support our troops in any way we can. To that end, I began sniffing around the Web, looking for organizations that will distribute knitted items to those serving us abroad.

I finally came up with http://www.sewmuchcomfort.org/index.asp. While they distribute mostly sewn items, when I contacted the group closest to my area, they were very receptive to the donation of knitted items.

I'm making stump covers for amputees, cast covers to keep toes warm and wrist sleeves to cover IV sites. http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hospital.html has patterns for several medically oriented items.

I'm sure there is a host of other items that we can develop. I'd urge you, if you have the notion, to look into doing this type of knitting as a twist on the more traditional types of charity knitting, such a preemie hats and chemo caps. We never know what comfort we can spread!

Krishnamurti

http://www.mrsbearswoods.blogspot.com
http://www.bearwoodsknitting.com
MrsBear87 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Putting all politics aside regarding the war in Iraq, I think we all are united in our desire to support our troops in any way we can.
Very true! Thanks for the links and the motivational post.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
My husband's an Iraq vet, so I'll ask him what kinds of knitted stuff he would have liked while out there. Keep in mind that in the desert, it's 130 in the shade on some days, so warm stuff might not be in the best interest. Personally, I'd make washcloths with their names on it or something, because they always lose stuff. Also, the guys are in an extreme state of patriotism out there, so anything about home is big.

Anyways, I'll ask my DH when he gets home and see what he thinks, and I'll let you know.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
doesn't the desert get really cold at night though?
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
urban_artisan
Casting On

At the knit-in I attended last night women were knitting helmet warmers for the troops. I think it's a great cause.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
ChristinaKnits
1st Leg of the Journey

my hubs is there now for the 3rd time. it's already gotten hot, but the idea of washcloths is a really good idea!!! I think they would all enjoy some comforts from home!

ChristinaKnits on Ravelry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~OTN:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mom's sweater, toe up Monkeys!
ChristinaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Well, I asked DH, and he said, "It's a really nice thought......but it doesn't really work." It's really too hot in the desert for anything knitted. Nice idea though. He says space is at a premium so honestly, there's not a lot that knitters can do (with yarn and needles, anyways). However, there are LOTS of other ways to support the troops. Sending cards and small care packages with tastes, sights, and smells of home, even anonymously, is a huge thing to almost every soldier serving abroad. And a hallmark card takes a LOT less time than a knitted helmet cozy.

One thing that Mrs. Bear suggested was something for the veterans. People who have lost limbs and such end up coming home, and even those who don't lose a physical part of their body often end up coming home feeling like they amputated a part of their soul. Those in the reserves or those who are discharged after they come home can often feel disenchanted and ignored. If you really want to knit in support of the troops, contact your local VA and see if there's anything that they need you to do. There are lots of young veterans, my husband included, at home these days with a myriad of serious issues. Luckily, we're dealing with it better than we did 40 years ago with Vietnam, however there's still a huge lack of understanding and awareness that veterans are faced with every day.

Good luck!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Xtgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Can you tell me how to get a pattern for helmet warmers? I would like to try this.Thanks
Xtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
There's also Prayer Cloths for the military.

My bf's on his third deployment too, though he might be coming back earlier on account of a broken knee.
I made him a prayer cloth before he left. And since he was told that it got cold out there at night, he insisted on taking one of my light crocheted throws to keep warm.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Helmet pattern-- http://www.knitwitnews.com/helmet_pattern.htm

Troops patterns--http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/troops.html

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote