Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
San
Ribbing the Cuff

doubt??
when i read the instructions for making gloves, i saw using three needles, i dont know how to use them, can anyone explain it, so far i have done with only 2 needles.

And whats that double pointed needles, i have needles with single pointed in one end and other end is not pointed but has the size of the needle mentioned. Cant we do gloves with this needle.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Hi San, it's possible to do needles on two gloves, but there's no real benefit to it, that I can tell. Do you have a high speed connection? If so, you can view the videos for how to use double pointed needles. It's in the Advanced Techniques section.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
There are patterns for gloves done on two needles. They need to be seamed though so if you don't like seaming then you'll need to learn how to use DPNs.

Try looking at Knitting Pattern Central.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
of troy
Turning the Heel

you can also knit seamless gloves on 2 needles, using a simple double knit stitch, (i have done it as a 'stunt') but its more work than knitting gloves on DPN's or circ's.

knitting with DPN' (be it a set of 4 needles (3 needles with stitches, 1 'working' needle ) or a set of 5 needles (4 needles with stitches, 1 'working' needle ) looks incredible complicated.. but inreality, you only 'work' with 2 needles at a time, and its nor much harder than working on 'straight knitting'
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
San
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi all

thanks for ur suggestions. i did look at the knitting pattern central, and also saw the use of 4 needles,...how complicated to learn...
hmmm.... i think somebody shd teach me step by step, also i think using 4 needles is complicated.. :-)

i have to check the advanced techniques yet.

thanks agn, if i have any doubt i will come back to u

san
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
San
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi all

thanks for ur suggestions. i did look at the knitting pattern central, and also saw the use of 4 needles,...how complicated to learn...
hmmm.... i think somebody shd teach me step by step, also i think using 4 needles is complicated.. :-)

i have to check the advanced techniques yet.

thanks agn, if i have any doubt i will come back to u

san
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Knitting with three or four needles in your hands can seem intimidating, but it really isn't.

Think of the extra needle(s) as "stitch holders." They are there simply to allow you to knit things in a circle. You will knit with two needles like regular, working your way around each needle.

Try googling "knitting with dpns." Your find will show you step-by-step pictures of what it actually looks like.

You can do this. Trust me. If I can do it (and I'm about the most uncoordinated person you'll meet), then anyone can do it!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Like I tell people
Driving a car on the highway is hard until you do it once or twice

or worse yet navigate a Philladelphia Bus map

Just knit off one needle in pattern
then go to the next in line using the empty needle from the first needle you worked

Its confusing now, but as long as you know what your last worked stitch looks like, you can always keep it going

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
San
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks nathalie and ecb, i accept that it will be difficult in the beginning.. i wwill try making one. hmmm first of all i have get those needles.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

double pointed needles (often called DPNs) are exactly what they sound like. They are needles with points at either end. They usually come in sets of 4 instead fo pairs and are used for circular knitting, particular smaller items like gloves or sleeves for a jumper.

You only actually knit with two needles at a time, just like with regular flat knitting. that meens there are 3 needles with stitches on and one you are usiong to move the stitches if that makes sense. I have yet to try it myslef but will have to when my hat has decreased enough that i cant knit on my circular needle. I think it will be abit fidly at first, but once i have gotten used to the extra needles being ther it should be fine.

Dont be scared of DPNs, but i would say maybe try a circulr needle for kntting int he round if you can, just to get used to having a tube instead of flat knitting first.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote